Help moving a car

-

salinasjoel

Learning Daily
Reaction score
so I am selling my house and moving, my car is currently just a body, trunk and hood removed, no drive train, no front end. I need to get the car on a trailer but am struggling to figure out the best way to go about it. Body wheels/cart seems to be the most realistic way to go, but at 400 a set that just seems crazy for simply moving a car down the road. Anyone have any tips or tricks? 6'-10" height restriction is killing my thoughts of jacking it up high enough to back a trailer under it.

Thanks

Moving dollies or the ones that go under the wheels?
I've got wheel dollies but I think those caster will be too small, i don't know that the body of the car will be enough weight to allow the force needed without those casters moving out when we give it a push to get up on the trailer

Can you roll it outside on round fence posts? Think how they moved those big Egyptian pyramid blocks

Cheap 6" pneumatic wheels from harbor freight. Short sections of 4x4 post with 8 2x4 crossmembers. one on top and one on bottom cut to fit under the body at what ever points of contact work and set your own working height. Move it around to your heart content or even wheel it on a trailer and transport. This is fact, not fiction. I have one under my 57 chevy body right now and have transported it as needed. Cheap and easy.

Cheap 6" pneumatic wheels from harbor freight. Short sections of 4x4 post with 8 2x4 crossmembers. one on top and one on bottom cut to fit under the body at what ever points of contact work and set your own working height. Move it around to your heart content or even wheel it on a trailer and transport. This is fact, not fiction. I have one under my 57 chevy body right now and have transported it as needed. Cheap and easy.
Do you happen to have any pictures? This is a thought I had as well

I would just fab up something so it will sit on casters.
Or get creative, I think an afternoon with a helper you could slide the rear and front end back under the car.
Winch it up on the trailer.

Do you happen to have any pictures? This is a thought I had as well

I don't. But don't over think this. Simple four posts cut at any height you want and the 4 wheels attached to the bottom. Two lag bolts in to the bottom of post and two in to the studs that mate to the post. Measure the width and length you want and cut the 2x4s to match, attach to the four posts. Try to keep the contact points on top of the posts. Keep the 2x4 on edge for more strength. Done deal. Probably around $50 depending on what you have laying around. This is really really simple and works great.

You can get cheaper wheels and save a few dollars if your surfaces are all smooth. But I like the 6" swivel pneumatic from harbor freight for slight uneven surfaces and price.

Pictures:

1.jpg

2.jpg

-
Back