Help! My Buttons! My Buttons!

-

flingdingo

Reaction score
So for the third time in six months the 'D' button of my shifter has jammed up. All the other buttons function as normal, and the trans shifts fine (except it won't go into Drive, of course)

Last two times, I "fixed" the problem by removing the trim panel, pulling the 'D' button out, and reinstalling it.

It seems like the button is jumping out of the slot and jamming up in the shift mechanism. Is there a more permanent fix? Could there be a clip or something that I'm missing? I'd like to not have to pull my dash apart every 3-4 months.

It sounds like where the button attaches behind the plate might be worn too much to stay engaged on the tab. My suggestion would be to see if someone here has one that is in better shape.

Remove the button. Carefully use a needlenose pliers to squeeze the two tines of the metal fork so that they'll more securely grip the button. Reinstall the button. Take the opportunity to apply a good brand (CRC) of spray silicone lube to the button box—get behind the dashboard and spray all pivot and slide points in, behind, and beside the box, operating the buttons and park lever to make sure the spray gets everywhere.

Check the Neutral button for looseness, too; it gets a lot of pull-action (every time you put it in Park).

Thanks Dan! That seems to have done the trick. None of the other buttons come off with a gentle tug, but the Drive button offered no resistance sliding on and off the metal tang. A slight squeeze with the pliers was all it took to tighten it up and give the Drive button the same resistance to removal.

Time will tell if the fix is permanent, but I am pretty confident that this worked.

-
Back