Help needed! Stock drum? studs on drum? off of different car? 1972 swinger

-

LittleSlantSwinger

Reaction score
So basically i suck at finding out these sorta things on my own. These are 9 inch front drums 5x4 bolt pattern from my 1972 swinger that i want to possibly buy replacements of was gonna do a disc coversion but gonna need to wait awhile. but i dont know where to find these drums and if they are even what came with the car. Also confused to why the studs are on the drum and not on a hub is this normal? And if i cant find this drum or a similar drum can i replace the studs on it easily because they are loose. any help would be appreciated. pictures are below.

20220518_161428.jpg

20220518_161439.jpg

20220518_161506.jpg

All right I'll bite. Some drums are held on by the studs as yours appear to be. The knurle hold the drum to the hub.I would hazard to guess they are correct for your car. If you want to replace them check and see if the drums are available. You may have to press the assembly together. And let me say I have not personally done this ,cause I swapped to disc in every Mopar I've owned!

These could be original to the car. Measure diameter and width of contact area. These should be available at your local auto supply.

All right I'll bite. Some drums are held on by the studs as yours appear to be. The knurle hold the drum to the hub.I would hazard to guess they are correct for your car. If you want to replace them check and see if the drums are available. You may have to press the assembly together. And let me say I have not personally done this ,cause I swapped to disc in every Mopar I've owned!
Do you think its possible to go to the auto parts store and buy new studs for these drums? I think the studs are loose because i think i maybe overtightened my lugs when i checked the brakes awhile ago oops lol.

Do you need new drums? Have you measured them? Lets not make this more complicated than it has to be. Why are you doing the brakes if you want to upgrade in the future? Whats wrong with them?

Do you need new drums? Have you measured them? Lets not make this more complicated than it has to be. Why are you doing the brakes if you want to upgrade in the future? Whats wrong with them?
Sorry im a bit everywhere in my thoughts right now i have messured the inside where the shoe sits to about 2 3/4 inch. And width of the whole drum around was 11.in thats all i measured and no they dont necessarily need to replaced. I just wonder if i can just can change the loose studs on them and upgrade to discs a bit later down the road. sorry for being a little misleading.

Discard diameter at 9.090” says they are just 9” drums.

If the studs are loose the drum isn’t the issue, the hub is. And based on the tack welds the studs have been an issue before.

The studs are swedged in, you have to cut the swedge (or the tack weld) to remove the studs.

Procedure for removing the drum from the hub is here
separating front hub from drum?

Based on the welds, you may be looking for a new hub or oversized studs if you want to make that work again.

Last edited:
The swedge to hold the drum to the hub was done for ease of assembly at the factory. As long as most of the studs are tight in their original locations, the wheel and lug nuts will securely hold the the drum in place and even center lugs that are a bit loose. Like was said before, if your going to replace it all in the forseeable future, just drive it...

The swedge to hold the drum to the hub was done for ease of assembly at the factory. As long as most of the studs are tight in their original locations, the wheel and lug nuts will securely hold the the drum in place and even center lugs that are a bit loose. Like was said before, if your going to replace it all in the forseeable future, just drive it...

Not if the studs are loose!

One stud is pretty loose cant push it out by hand though weld is broken on the back of that one. And i have two more studs that have a little play. I will convert it at some point to disc. However looks like i would need new rims too because from what i understand stock non-rallye wheels dont work with disc brake kits.

One stud is pretty loose cant push it out by hand though weld is broken on the back of that one. And i have two more studs that have a little play. I will convert it at some point to disc. However looks like i would need new rims too because from what i understand stock non-rallye wheels dont work with disc brake kits.

It depends on the disk brake kit, but very few of them work with the factory original drum wheels.

so from the pictures it looks like you have 9 inch drums? SSBC makes a kit that bolts onto the 9 inch spindles. As long as you have 14 inch rims, they clear those discs

so from the pictures it looks like you have 9 inch drums? SSBC makes a kit that bolts onto the 9 inch spindles. As long as you have 14 inch rims, they clear those discs

Yeah but does the hub bore on the factory 14” drum wheels work on those hubs?

Nevermind that SSBC went out of business and was resurrected again recently. Doesn’t give a warm fuzzy feeling for finding replacement parts in 10 years…

Thats what i want confirmation on. If that ssbc kit would go for these rims i would still look into buying that kit since there isnt many if any honestly that fit those rims. Anyway If i do end up needing new rims and ones i can use the stock hubcaps on hopefully, i would be open for suggestions on that too. I would like to possibly be able to use my current tires on the new rims though wanna try and stay on 14 inch.

Yeah but does the hub bore on the factory 14” drum wheels work on those hubs?

Nevermind that SSBC went out of business and was resurrected again recently. Doesn’t give a warm fuzzy feeling for finding replacement parts in 10 years…

Last edited:
They worked on a conversion we did on a 68 Dart with 9 inch drums - both standard 14" steel rims and Rallye wheels.

6 months ago I bought replacement calipers and rotors for the SSBC brake conversion on my 70 Dart i did 17 years ago - a lot easier than finding some parts for the factory K/H brakes on another 70 Dart I have... replacement calipers are easy to find as they went on a bunch of Fords.

The drum and hub assembly comes prepared for studs in the big and small bolt pattern

It depends on the disk brake kit, but very few of them work with the factory original drum wheels.
I'm only aware of the Wilwood kit that uses the 9" spindles. Are there more?

I'm only aware of the Wilwood kit that uses the 9" spindles. Are there more?

Scarebird definitely has one for the 9" spindles.

The Wilwood kit won't work with any of the factory rims.

In looking at it the SSBC kits seem to all be for 10" drum spindles.

Scarebird definitely has one for the 9" spindles.

The Wilwood kit won't work with any of the factory rims.

In looking at it the SSBC kits seem to all be for 10" drum spindles.
Yeah that's the other one. I thought there was but I couldn't remember. I ain't sure I'd use the 9" spindles. They're pretty small.

Yeah that's the other one. I thought there was but I couldn't remember. I ain't sure I'd use the 9" spindles. They're pretty small.

I wouldn't. I don't like the small bolt diameter for the lower ball joint or the small diameter outer wheel bearing.

But if keeping the factory 14" drum wheels is a requirement that's pretty much the only option. I don't think any of the 73+ disk conversions, even drilled for the 5x4" pattern and with the hub turned down will fit the factory drum wheels. Heck I'm not even sure the factory KH disks will work with all of the factory drum wheels.

So i looked at ssbc and like blu said there is no kit for 9 inch spindles. Now i have yet another few questions 1. can i convert over to 10 inch spindles? 2. If im changing everything anyway can i even go to a little bigger of a bolt pattern like the 5×4 1/2. And of course i have to change rims for sure then. been looking at scarebird kits and reading up on them but they seem to not fit stock steel non rallye rims. saw people that contacted them apparently they simply said nope. So pretty much screwed on that. By the way thanks for your guys time so far!
They worked on a conversion we did on a 68 Dart with 9 inch drums - both standard 14" steel rims and Rallye wheels.

6 months ago I bought replacement calipers and rotors for the SSBC brake conversion on my 70 Dart i did 17 years ago - a lot easier than finding some parts for the factory K/H brakes on another 70 Dart I have... replacement calipers are easy to find as they went on a bunch of Fords.

The drum and hub assembly comes prepared for studs in the big and small bolt pattern

I wouldn't. I don't like the small bolt diameter for the lower ball joint or the small diameter outer wheel bearing.

But if keeping the factory 14" drum wheels is a requirement that's pretty much the only option. I don't think any of the 73+ disk conversions, even drilled for the 5x4" pattern and with the hub turned down will fit the factory drum wheels. Heck I'm not even sure the factory KH disks will work with all of the factory drum wheels.

So i looked at ssbc and like blu said there is no kit for 9 inch spindles. Now i have yet another few questions 1. can i convert over to 10 inch spindles? 2. If im changing everything anyway can i even go to a little bigger of a bolt pattern like the 5×4 1/2. And of course i have to change rims for sure then. been looking at scarebird kits and reading up on them but they seem to not fit stock steel non rallye rims. saw people that contacted them apparently they simply said nope. So pretty much screwed on that. By the way thanks for your guys time so far!

You can convert to 10" spindles, but they're not reproduced so you'd still have to find a set. And then buy the conversion kit on top of that.

You could also go to DoctorDiff, and buy a complete disk conversion from him. He sells the '73+ mopar based conversions, so it would all be factory reproduction parts. That kit can be had in either 5x4.5" or 5x4", although I'm pretty sure the 5x4" version still won't work with your factory SBP drum wheels because of the hub bore diameter. So you'd still need wheels. If you convert to 5x4.5" you'll have to decide if you want to do the rear axles too, which would then mean new rear brakes. So that adds up, but you'd have better brakes all the way around. Cass (DoctorDiff) is also super knowledgeable and can make sure you get everything you need.

DoctorDiff Drivetrain Components

You can convert to 10" spindles, but they're not reproduced so you'd still have to find a set. And then buy the conversion kit on top of that.

You could also go to DoctorDiff, and buy a complete disk conversion from him. He sells the '73+ mopar based conversions, so it would all be factory reproduction parts. That kit can be had in either 5x4.5" or 5x4", although I'm pretty sure the 5x4" version still won't work with your factory SBP drum wheels because of the hub bore diameter. So you'd still need wheels. If you convert to 5x4.5" you'll have to decide if you want to do the rear axles too, which would then mean new rear brakes. So that adds up, but you'd have better brakes all the way around. Cass (DoctorDiff) is also super knowledgeable and can make sure you get everything you need.

DoctorDiff Drivetrain Components
Is the 10.95 inch front disc brake kit on doctor diffs website all i would need to order? Also do you know if they accept debit cards? cause i haven't made a account with them yet. at work so kinda busy.

-
Back