Help on 8 1/4 fit.

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A great member here has a rear end up for grabs and I was needing to know if this is a direct bolt in for my 66 valiant
The night rider said he believes it came out of a late 60 model Dart.

Is this rear the exact same width as my factory 7 1/4 in my 66 sedan ?
and are the spring perches located correctly for my 66 Valiant ?

Yall know me, ignorant when it come's to :study: well allot :iconbigg:

I did not want to bother The night riders sale thread so I came here.

My son works for a engine's Ink and has freight lines and receiving :iconbigg:
so the cost of shipping may be good :study:

Again thank you for your input, and time anyone :iconbigg:

here is the rearend, looks like it has wider brake shoes , but not sure.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=986180&postcount=183

Mike,
The 8 1/4" axle was phased into production in the early 70's.
It was used in 1973-1976 A-body heavy duty and high-performance models as a replacement for the 8 3/4".

So....If it came out of a 73-76 A-body,it will fit.
No such thing as a "Late 60's Dart 8 1/4 rear".
A-body 63-76 spring perch to spring perch 43.02"

If you were to go to a 8 1/4" you would need a shorter drive shaft. It also will be big bolt pattern.

Since your not pumping out big HP,I would use your 7 1/4", untill it proves itself wrong.

If it came out of an A-body originally than it should be a bolt in swap minus U-bolts, the things the U-bolts bolt to, and shortening the drive shaft. Also this rear would have large bolt pattern. The rear your looking at is most likely an A-body because why would someone waist time making a bigger one fit if correct A-body size is readily available.

Mike,
It was used in 1973-1976 A-body heavy duty and high-performance models as a replacement for the 8 3/4".

So..............

Since your not pumping out bip HP,I would use your 7 1/4", untill it proves itself wrong.

Thank you So much Johnny :cheers:, I know I will never need a 8 3/4 and you have given me some good advice :thumbrig:
I am so glad you know my car so well and know my 170 is my power plant :hello2:

Thank you :rock: and have a great day on the west coast

If it came out of an A-body originally than it should be a bolt in swap minus U-bolts, the things the U-bolts bolt to, and shortening the drive shaft. Also this rear would have large bolt pattern. The rear your looking at is most likely an A-body because why would someone waist time making a bigger one fit if correct A-body size is readily available.
Silly of me I guess :iconbigg: I thought all late 60 A bodies was SBP.
Thank you 67valiant :iconbigg::study:

Thank you So much Johnny :cheers:, I know I will never need a 8 3/4 and you have given me some good advice :thumbrig:
I am so glad you know my car so well and know my 170 is my power plant :hello2:

Thank you :rock: and have a great day on the west coast

The 7.25 is not a High Performance rear end,but I have no problem running it behind my slant car.
The relative ease to spin it,works in the slants favor.
I will run it untill it proves me wrong.

Now,we will have to see how it holds up with this........:iconbigg:

Stay warm on the hill !!!!!

Attachments

• Hart Basketball 003.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 121
Silly of me I guess :iconbigg: I thought all late 60 A bodies was SBP.
Thank you 67valiant :iconbigg::study:
Shame MeMike,I got the rearend along with my 68 Barracuda.(has been swapped out for an 8 3/4):grin:I checked it lastnight and believe it,s a suregrip.Both axels spun the same way when I turned the yoke by hand:burnout:.That hills, to high to ship LOL.It,s a shame as I,d love to see it used in victoria.:iconbigg:

Shame MeMike,I got the rearend along with my 68 Barracuda.(has been swapped out for an 8 3/4):grin:I checked it lastnight and believe it,s a suregrip.Both axels spun the same way when I turned the yoke by hand:burnout:.That hills, to high to ship LOL.It,s a shame as I,d love to see it used in victoria.:iconbigg:

I just need to move up there Scott :iconbigg: Heck, my rearend is great for what I am using her for :iconbigg:, You have already put new shoes on her and she is happy :iconbigg:

Mike,

So....If it came out of a 73-76 A-body,it will fit.
No such thing as a "Late 60's Dart 8 1/4 rear".
A-body 63-76 spring perch to spring perch 43.02"

If you were to go to a 8 1/4" you would need a shorter drive shaft. It also will be big bolt pattern.

Since your not pumping out big HP,I would use your 7 1/4", untill it proves itself wrong.

Yep that's my bad, it might have come out of a duster before. It was in a late 60s dart before I got it. So it must have been swapped before that from a 70s a body.

-
Back