Help on upgrading brakes

-

MoparMark91

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could help me out on a route for upgrading my brakes.
I have a 1971 dart with sbp and
Cragar as 14" on it and 9" drums.
I want to upgrade to disc brakes in front and still use my wheels and bolt pattern.
What would be the route to go ove searched all over but never got a direct answer

The small bolt pattern is your main problem. Sell the wheels and upgrade to a 4 1/2" pattern. Huge choice available for brakes and wheels.

Go to Doctor Diff site. You will find everything you need. The gentleman's name is Cass. He is very helpful.

consider scarebird LLC disc brake installation kit on gooogle and a few postings on here/They have a backorder usually but will accommodate oe wheels and use your existing axles.read a few articles and pm if you need more.I believe they may be best for yours i will be using

Scarebird works but it's a hodge podge of Chevy cavilar calipers and Ford rotors.
I like the Dr Diff kit myself.

I was hoping someone could help me out on a route for upgrading my brakes.
I have a 1971 dart with sbp and
Cragar as 14" on it and 9" drums.
I want to upgrade to disc brakes in front and still use my wheels and bolt pattern.
What would be the route to go ove searched all over but never got a direct answer
The direct answer is to find a doner A-body that has disc brakes. They will be Kelsey Hayes four piston.
They are out there. Just the core charge for the calipers was160 bucks last time I checked.

I just got done buying cragar ss wheels so that's why I wanted to retain same bolt pattern. But how are the wildwood sets three summit anyone have any luck with thoae?

The scarebird stuff is sheer genius. It really is. But that said, I agree 100% with the hodge podge statement. Although, it is made up of easily obtained parts. If you can stand Chevy this and Toyota that then it might be for you. I just never have liked how it all goes together. It may be perfectly fine, but that's my personal opinion and I have seen a couple of kits in person. If you want to retain the small bolt pattern, give Jim a shout. @hemi71x That guy is a total asset to this site and a wealth of knowledge when it comes to brakes and suspension on these cars. He's a super good guy and can help point you in the right direction.

I used the scarebird kit on my 68 and it works pretty good. Chevy calipers and pads, Toyota rotors, longer wheel studs, this little spacer thing, and I think it was oldsmobile hoses, some grinding hear and there- hodge podge for sure, but well thought out with good instructions.

Well I ordered mine but if I may ask what did you have to grind and I hope they'll work with my 14" cragars

I did research and I was going to go wildwood but was told that it wont clear my cragars

Does anyone know if those brakes will work with cragar ss wheels 14" cause I contacted them and they dont know...kind of frustrated a bit cause potentially these could not even work now

Scarebird is simplest and cheapest. You might have to grind a bit off the caliper corners to clear your wheels, but an electric grinder is just $14 at Harbor Freight and works fast. Better to grind a cheap GM caliper than molest a purty Wilwood one. Don't fret parts. Just write the PN's down in your car's log and rest assured you will always be able to source the common GM & Toyota parts cheap. You will need to drill a 4"D bolt pattern in the rotor, but Scarebird gives a template or will even provide drilled rotors for a bit extra. The Dr Diff kit and others on ebay ~$550 require replacing your 9" spindle with a 1973+ one. They are simply the later factory disk parts. If you need new ball joints and bushings anyway, that might make sense, otherwise much more work.

A little late in replying but here's what is on my 1966 Dart. It was converted back in late 2003. The original owner went with the SSBC A153 kit. Fits great.
I bought the car a little over a year ago and decided to put an older set of sbp 14x6 Cragars on it. I thought I might have problems with them but they fit like a glove.

-
Back