Help please! 68 Dart Heater Control dilemma

-

Jason Maitland

Reaction score
Hi all... I'm in Australia, and in the process of tidying up the heater control bezel on a nice dart I imported recently! One of the pins on the Upper Selector Lever appears to be damaged that controls the ON and OFF function. I can get the cable to slide on it, but when I attempt to turn it to the OFF position (all the way to the left) the cable seems to bind and simply pushes off the pin. The pin itself seems as though it has been slightly damaged (maybe due to the additional pressure caused by the cable binding?) also... Can anyone shed any light on this, has anyone experienced anything similar, and I'm wondering if it is simply a case of replacing the cable to alleviate all woes?? Thanks!

Section 1-2 in the factory service manual (Free download from my Mopar.com) has a procedure but it uses a tool no one has.

The first thing I would do is remove the cables from either end, (which ever is easier to remove and check for free movement of the cables.

Once free movement has been established manually check that each door is opening and closing easily and completely.

Then make sure each control lever is moving easily and completely.

Once all that has been established, re attach the cables to the control and adjust the outer part in it's mount till you have propper function.

There is a possibility that something inside the heater box (old foam for instance) has come loose and is preventing the door frop opening or closing correctly.

I find on my 67 dart that the upper control does not sit all the way to the left. I probably could adjust the cable more but I got it better than it was so I left it alone

As for the pins, you could get a speed nut to keep the cable on the crooked pin.
Are your pins intact and look like this?

If the tapered top part is broken off that could be part of the reason the cables are popping off.
Screenshot_20220828-070518.png

Section 1-2 in the factory service manual (Free download from my Mopar.com) has a procedure but it uses a tool no one has.

The first thing I would do is remove the cables from either end, (which ever is easier to remove and check for free movement of the cables.

Once free movement has been established manually check that each door is opening and closing easily and completely.

Then make sure each control lever is moving easily and completely.

Once all that has been established, re attach the cables to the control and adjust the outer part in it's mount till you have propper function.

There is a possibility that something inside the heater box (old foam for instance) has come loose and is preventing the door frop opening or closing correctly.

I find on my 67 dart that the upper control does not sit all the way to the left. I probably could adjust the cable more but I got it better than it was so I left it alone

As for the pins, you could get a speed nut to keep the cable on the crooked pin.
Are your pins intact and look like this?

If the tapered top part is broken off that could be part of the reason the cables are popping off.
View attachment 1715976855

Hey Dana... Thanks sooo much , your kind feedback is most appreciated!
My pins are exactly like those in your pic! The pin closest to the driver's side seems to have lost one of its split top pieces... I have somewhat checked some of the items you suggest, but will re-check them all as you've instructed, meticulously to see if I can improve the situation, thanks again

Jason, my cables would not stay on either so I used a push nut to hold them on.

F9F420FC-2E3B-4B59-BA45-9950589543BC.jpeg

Jason, my cables would not stay on either so I used a push nut to hold them on.

View attachment 1715976928
Hey Mopardude,

Thanks for your advice! I had thought of that, as the pins seem to be split in 2 towards the top, suggesting a captive type nut could be pushed on, and stay in place by the potential pressure of the 2 split type pieces maybe springing back to keep it in place. However..... here is the issue/s - the pin in question seems to have one of the 2 top pieces missing, and when that particular control/pin has the cable attached, and you attempt to slide the pin towards the drivers' side the cable becomes so resistant, that IF it wasn't allowed to slip off the pin itself (i.e. if there was a captive/push on nut in place), I fear the pressure exerted on the pin would end up snapping/breaking it altogether :(... So I'll just have to trace the cable / mechanisms/flaps etc to see IF there is something else untoward causing such pressure/binding in the cable, if possible, without having to remove the heater box..... wish me luck!!

If the glove box is out it gives you additional room to work / access.

Plan on replacing the box if you take it out.

Hmmmm interesting, are you saying plan on replacing the glove or heater box if removed

The card board glove box if it is the OEM 54 year old one it will tend to come apart.

Also DO NOT bend it at the "creases" new or old. ask me how I know.

I was able to put in a new 67 dart glove box (from classic ind, it was 99% correct down to the staples) by first removing the door, then sliding the box in drivers side first through the opening.

I know 68 up is a bit different but might work out the same.

Last thing... The position of the cable outer shething in the respective clamps determines the adjustment. ( where the lever sits in the off position for example)

Last edited:
The card board glove box if it is the OEM 54 year old one it will tend to come apart.

Also DO NOT bend it at the "creases" new or old. ask me how I know.

I was able to put in a new 67 dart glove box (from classic ind, it was 99% correct down to the staples) by first removing the door, then sliding the box in drivers side first through the opening.

I know 68 up is a bit different but might work out the same.

Last thing... The position of the cable outer shething in the respective clamps determines the adjustment. ( where the lever sits in the off position for example)
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll leave my glove box, which seems in mint original condition, well alone!

-
Back