Help requested finding these Brake Hoses

-

Hemioutlaw

Make America Great Again!
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,
R and Ring this brake system on the Six NIne Cuda which admittedly is a bit unorthodox but does work. With y'alls excellent help I've already been able to secure a New MC but these brake hoses while not leaking are showing quite a bit of corrosion internally and I'd like to replace them. I honestly don't know what they came off of and the bends almost seem to be formed. Each of them are 16 1/2" in length.
I've searched for something similar but to no avail...Y'all always seem to be able to steer me in the right direction...any ideas?

69' Cuda MC Line-1.jpg
69' Cuda MC Line-2.jpg
69' Cuda MC Line-3.jpg
69' Cuda MC Line-4.jpg
69'Cuda MC Line Dimensions.PNG
69'Cuda Unmothballed Brakes 12.15.19-8.jpg

Last edited:
So the swaged fitting on the end of the hose is all one piece? The portion that utilizes the snap ring doesn't separate from the swaged fitting, right? BTW your hoses are shaped that way because probably they have been mounted in that position for so long, they have taken set.

So the swaged fitting on the end of the hose is all one piece? The portion that utilizes the snap ring doesn't separate from the swaged fitting, right? BTW your hoses are shaped that way because probably they have been mounted in that position for so long, they have taken set.

Yes,
All one piece, I considered that they may have just taken shape from the years but there is a type of sleeve over the hose where the bend is, rest of the hose is still flexible.

Can someone explain to me what I'm seeing.

Why would you need flex lines from MC to body?

Agreed. Steel will definately improve pedal feel. Integrate a couple coils in each line for vibration and you are good.

You need to get rid of the rubber hoses under the hood above the heat from the header. Go to a race shop and buy Fragola braided brake hoses and put a bulk head in the bracket for the master. I use braided hoses an bulk heads for everything on my car. I only use Fragola . I believe Summit Racing sells Fragola now.

I get mine from a local shop. They let you take different styles and bring back what you don't need. Rubber brake hoses are a thing of the past when it comes to custom work.

Steve 101.JPG

DSCN1686.jpg

spoiler pics 804.jpg

The last photo in post #1 seems to show the steel lines between the firewall and the bracket, Why not just get two couplers and bend up some steel line to follow the basic shape of the rubber hoses. You could even put some heat protection around the steel line if that is an issue near those headers.

I still can not figure why who ever built that thought it was a good idea to use rubber hose in that location or at all.

The last photo in post #1 seems to show the steel lines between the firewall and the bracket, Why not just get two couplers and bend up some steel line to follow the basic shape of the rubber hoses. You could even put some heat protection around the steel line if that is an issue near those headers.

I still can not figure why who ever built that thought it was a good idea to use rubber hose in that location or at all.
especially with under hood heat !!!

I believe this setup was copied off the factory 1968 Hemi Darts and Barracudas. You couldn't remove the drivers side valve cover without removing the master cylinder, so they used flexible hoses similar to this setup. You could move the master out of the way without disconnecting the brake lines. When you reinstalled the valve cover and the master cylinder, you would not need to bleed the brakes. I think they just used factory front brake hoses on the 1968 hemi cars.

Agreed. Steel will definately improve pedal feel. Integrate a couple coils in each line for vibration and you are good.

I get what your saying and you may be right, but question whether a steel line would improve the pedal feel, I view the hydraulics as a closed system and even on my current vehicles I still see rubber lines going to the calipers. They're obviously there for maintenance reasons but are there nonetheless.

Last edited:
You need to get rid of the rubber hoses under the hood above the heat from the header. Go to a race shop and buy Fragola braided brake hoses and put a bulk head in the bracket for the master. I use braided hoses an bulk heads for everything on my car. I only use Fragola . I believe Summit Racing sells Fragola now.

I get mine from a local shop. They let you take different styles and bring back what you don't need. Rubber brake hoses are a thing of the past when it comes to custom work.

View attachment 1715440306

View attachment 1715440309

View attachment 1715440310

I've got An connected braided lines all over on my vehicles and was buying Aeroquip lines for pennies on the dollar from an aircraft salvage business Long before they became popular for aftermarket usage. I do get the added protection that comes with the jacketed lines but at the end of the day a braided line is still nothing more than a rubber line wrapped in a stainless jacket. I'll also note that my braided lines typically require more replacement maintenance (especially those on the fuel side) due to drying of the inner core that leads to leakage and these very lines that i'm looking to replace due to corroding of the steel fittings were still not leaking and God knows how many years old they are.

Last edited:
I get what your saying and you may be right, but question whether a steel line would improve the pedal feel,

OEM brake systems keep the length of rubber hoses needed for the whole car to a very tight minimum for this very reason. And cost of course.

If they could have used steel line to the front wheels they would have. Rubber hose expands and will soften the pedal. If you want to keep the existing setup I would replumb it and use some stock mopar hoses that are readily available or go aftermarket braided.
Brake hoses typically dont leak. The main failure is the hose swells up inside and will block flow, usually causing the brakes to lock up. If you cut open a brake hose you will see that is a very small hole in the middle.

Fragola is the only product I will use. If you ever get a chance compare them. My lines were all bought at a NASCAR fab shop. That is all they used. And that was a long time ago. Could be around 10 years, Now I believe Summit Racing sells Fragola. The fittings and hose are a quality product. They now sell everything in black. lines and fittings. Very nice. -4 brake lines are pre-made in several lengths.

The New hoses they use now are heavy heat resistant plastic coated braided stainless instead of the clear coated. I never used them but I heard they are very strong and no corrosion at all. I believe You'll see them on Ryan Martin's New ZL1 Fireball Camaro.

Like everything you only get what you pay for. When it comes to brakes on a race car rubber isn't the way to go anymore. Check out Wilwood or strange. I don't think they even sell rubber.

Just a thought you may want to consider other options with the hoses right over the headers. 1/4 mile car you may be OK. On a Street car thats a lot of heat.

Fragola is the only product I will use. If you ever get a chance compare them. My lines were all bought at a NASCAR fab shop. That is all they used. And that was a long time ago. Could be around 10 years, Now I believe Summit Racing sells Fragola. The fittings and hose are a quality product. They now sell everything in black. lines and fittings. Very nice. -4 brake lines are pre-made in several lengths.

The New hoses they use now are heavy heat resistant plastic coated braided stainless instead of the clear coated. I never used them but I heard they are very strong and no corrosion at all. I believe You'll see them on Ryan Martin's New ZL1 Fireball Camaro.

Like everything you only get what you pay for. When it comes to brakes on a race car rubber isn't the way to go anymore. Check out Wilwood or strange. I don't think they even sell rubber.

Just a thought you may want to consider other options with the hoses right over the headers. 1/4 mile car you may be OK. On a Street car thats a lot of heat.

Thank you Sir,
I do appreciate the advice, I have heard good things about Fragola and will more than likely be using them on my other car project if this 69' Cuda rabbit hole i've gone down doesn't leave me broke and living under a bridge... Lol

What was supposed to be a simple fuel line replacement to bring the Cuda back to life has now already cost me a New Trans + Converter, New Radiator, Rebuilt Brake System, and might as well go thru the Rear End and Check the rest of the driveline while i'm at it.

*Many years ago I actually used to drive this car on the street for extended periods with the same MC/Header setup and remarkably never had an issue. I did purchase some replacement hoses today but also bought some 2500 degree protection for those lines as added insurance.

Hi Temp Sleeves.jpg

-
Back