help? sl/6 dist-firing order DIAGRAM

-

speedyvision

Reaction score
i need a COMPLETE diagram/link (read picture, coloring crayons optional)
for my 71 swinger 225.

i was just looking over stuff on my swinger (it runs, but not well) and i realized i had some self titled "mechanic" put my plug wires on. they are yellow accel wires and he got them all greased up right outta the box, gotta love it!
so i figured maybe he crossed a wire causing the occasional spit, pop and somewhat uneven revs...
so i look up the correct firing order, distributor rotation and the wire positions in the cap. seemed simple enough, went to slant 6.org and quickly found an all-par link with the drawn out diagram.
only one problem...mine doesn`t match. good you say? i was correct and found the crossed wire?
um...nooo...mine doesn`t even come close to the one i found at All-Par!
so i googled it and altho i never found another "chart" i did find at least a dozen confirmations that;
the firing order should be 1 5 3 6 2 4
i`m assuming the clockwise rotation info was correct?
...and that the #1 plug is at the front of engine

now i understand someone may have put the distibutor in 180 degrees out and then compensated by wiring the cap 180 to match, but even then my order doesn`t match!
starting with #1 (mine has #1 next to the valvecover, 180 degrees off from the diagram) and going clockwise its 1 4 2 5 3 6

when i use the firing order from All-Par my car wont start... i tried it stock AND 180 out! ...then i switched a few here and there...never could make it better so finally gave up and put it back as i found it!
so can anybody give me a diagram or link or some verification of my sanity? was All-Par wrong on the direction, placement or anything? all sl/6`s are the same are they not?
i mean duh? ...i used to think of myself somewhat a Mopar EXPERT, but never did care for slant 6`s, never learned anything much about them!
p.s. remember an ex is a has been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure...
EX-SPURT

Here is what I have.

225-6-firing.gif

yes thats the diagram i found, but thats not how mine is! starting where the diagram shows #1 mine is 536142 which is 180 degrees off from the diagram (not a big deal) but 142536? thats the only way my car will run

Here's what you can do. Get the # 1 cylinder up on TDC. Verify this by checking for compression in the #1 hole as the timing mark approaches TDC. Once you have compression at TDC, remove the distributor cap. Wherever the rotor is pointing, that terminal is #1. It might not be where the diagrams show it should be because the distributor has been disturbed at some point. You can reset it if you like, but this should get you going. While you're at it, check the coil wires for correct polarity. If they're wrong, the engine will run, but it will run poorly. Hope this helps.

Here's what you can do. Get the # 1 cylinder up on TDC. Verify this by checking for compression in the #1 hole as the timing mark approaches TDC. Once you have compression at TDC, remove the distributor cap. Wherever the rotor is pointing, that terminal is #1. It might not be where the diagrams show it should be because the distributor has been disturbed at some point. You can reset it if you like, but this should get you going. While you're at it, check the coil wires for correct polarity. If they're wrong, the engine will run, but it will run poorly. Hope this helps.

yes, i was trying to avoid all that. the car runs and likely the firing order has nothing to do with its problems, more likely a vacumn leak (or several) plus old age!
but i stumbled upon what seems to me quite odd, based on all the quick reading i`ve done, tracking down threads online. because regardless where in the cap u begin your sequence its still not the sequence that works on this engine and thats beyond bizarre, its INSANE!!!
oh now i WILL have to track this down further!
...but it won`t happen overnite.

How's the valvetrain sound? Any possibility of a wiped cam lobe or some other problem? Have you seen/heard this engine run properly before now?

How's the valvetrain sound? Any possibility of a wiped cam lobe or some other problem? Have you seen/heard this engine run properly before now?

this is a car "we" bought about 2.5 years ago. the engine wasn`t running and didn`t matter. it wasn`t an issue as "we" were going to big block it.
anyways the "he" in "we" went away...see?
so I have this car and this engine DOES matter...at least to some degree if its able to motivate the car and saves me buying another one!
i have had a few different "choice" mechanics do this or that with it...or with me! HA ...i can`t even recall if the points were changed since i`ve had it. should have been, but i suppose i`ll buy a set tomorrow and eliminate that bug-a-boo. it really bugs me the guys who claim to be mechanics...even the supposedly "professional" garages...they take forever, charge a fortune and act as though one; they have just cracked the Da Vinci code for you and two; u owe them, they did u a BIG favor!
they think a woman doesn`t know any better about all that dirty iron!
i grew up around Mopars (Hemis, 440`s, 340`s, chargers, cudas...) and worked in garages, body shops and machine shops...yes, i have built many engines and transmissions, even whole cars starting with a stripped shell and a pile of iron.
yet i digress! i`m in my 50`s now and i don`t want to work on my car! (lol)
so finally your answer; NO i have never heard it run well. i can`t say where the timing or dwell is set. (did verify my coil is wired correctly) and as far as i know i believe this to be the original 225 1 BBL engine. (1971)meaning its a solid lifter engine...right? i havent changed the valve cover (will soon) and it sure sounds like a solid lifter engine.
i`m not expecting anyone to diagnose the problems. i know the step by step though all that and it can only be done hands on.
MY QUESTION; what about this funky timing huh? ever hear of such a thing? wanna guess why its running if it defies Chyslers GREAT TIMING FIRING ORDER?

If you have the original points distributer still in there I'll betcha its worn out. To install a reman'd distributer is like dipping the car in a fountain of youth.

yes its a points type distributor to be sure. i`m also sure the tolerances on it are quite out of spec. i have also seen carbon tracking, broken caps and missfires, but thats not what this is and i have also tried various versions of "plug the wire into another hole" ...now i`m no mathematician, but how many variables MIGHT there be? 6 times infinity? lol ...it doesn`t matter! ACCORDING TO CHRYSLER ...theres only one!
BUT MY CAR WONT RUN THAT WAY!

Try swapping #1 and #2 plug wires. Tell us what happens.

Torquehouse...i owe u one! sometimes you can`t see the forest for the trees and so much for "expurts" ...haha...
i drew the various firing orders on one page and after looking (and echoing in my head, what u said) i changed plugs 1 and 2 ...this yielded a marked improvement...and then, since i have almost no tools, seriously...i have 2 screwdrivers, needlenose pliers, a gerbertool and a 3/8" ratchet (no extension) and 3 short sockets! ...oh and i have DUCT TAPE! (actually theatre gaffers tape...its THE best! ...goes 10% faster...haha...)
i decided to move them all clockwise one more cog...and that did it! been along time since i drove a slant, but i couldn`t believe they were really that
S L O W ...its like a new car now! i might even pull out into traffic!
thankyou Torquehouse!!! (and thanks to A Bodies Only!!!) hmmmm, maybe it will see paint one day yet!

so Chrysler was right after all! now who was the BOY HOWDY who installed this distributor in the 1st place??? ...it really is 153624...i`m giddy!

-
Back