Help to decipher a mopar vin number

-

Pebble beach

Reaction score
lots you would probably know this off the top of your head but I am not one of those guys. I would like a little info about the car I just purchased if possible it is a 1967 Dart GT convertible with a 273 V8
Vin#LP27B72112590
Thanks for your help

L=Dodge Dart
P=Premium (GT)
27=convertible
B=225 cu. in. 6 cylinder
7=1967
2=Hamtramck, Mi (plant where built)
112590= Sequence number

I had the book handy! Welcome to FABO

Don't get caught up in the originality. That's a nice GT convertible and now that you you know its not original you can add what ever you want. Trust me that is a bonus! Make it what you want.

Don't get caught up in the originality. That's a nice GT convertible and now that you you know its not original you can add what ever you want. Trust me that is a bonus! Make it what you want.

I cant agree more. My 67 Dart Convertible is original and was my dad's so I'm kind of bound to keep it original. Oh what I would have done! 426 Hemi Convertible Dart anyone!

Your sequence number is 150,000 earlier than mine (build date of about Feb 1967) so yours must be a early model year like Oct - Nov of 66 by my estimation.

How are your trunk hinge spring supports? Mine and another FABO member had the same issue where the metal fatigued where the springs run through. The other member had a 68 also but the problem was not there we think it might have been a 67 only thing.

I cant agree more. My 67 Dart Convertible is original and was my dad's so I'm kind of bound to keep it original. Oh what I would have done! 426 Hemi Convertible Dart anyone!

Your sequence number is 150,000 earlier than mine (build date of about Feb 1967) so yours must be a early model year like Oct - Nov of 66 by my estimation.

How are your trunk hinge spring supports? Mine and another FABO member had the same issue where the metal fatigued where the springs run through. The other member had a 68 also but the problem was not there we think it might have been a 67 only thing.
Ever thought about doing this? Search Results for Query: trunk lift support | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum

13,815 total production 67 Dart GT Hardtop and convertible's with a 225 /6. No breakdown between HDTP and Conv.
2,743 were 3 speed manuals
11,072 were automatics

Mine is 294,643. Holy smokes is that a late 67 GT build then?

It . Yours is only ~27,000 units after mine.

According to the letter I have from Chrysler Historical Collection, There were 3728, 1967 Dodge Dart Convertibles built and according to their letter there was no production break down of options. This letter is from 10-30 years ago so maybe they have found additional records.

I wish there was a registry like the 1970 HAmtramck The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page for 1967 Dart Convertibles

Disclaimer...I made this chart to estimate the year / month to sequence number it is by no means accurate.

upload_2018-2-11_18-4-37.png

This table is just my estimate based on my Dart's build date and sequence number and the model year build year. my recollection it was July to June and it does not take into account some months with more units built vs other months with fewer ( I suspect December would have had fewer units built)

Remember that sequence number includes all cars built on the Hamtramk line (which I believe was actually two lines). ALL A-body convertibles from '67-69 (not sure about earlier) were built at Dodge Main (Hamtramk). My GTS ('68 convertible) has a sequence number in the 111,7xx range (11,7xx cars scheduled - it was not a 1-1 in sequence number and SPD for a lot of reasons) with an SPD of 8/28/67. My '67 Barracuda convertible has a sequence # in the 302,8xx range with an unknown SPD. (311,***, a '67 GTS hardtop in the registry has an SPD of 4/6/67).

was looking at the GTS registry http://www.gtsregistry67-68.com and the first entry is LP23H72320*** and states it was built April 24, 1967, that fits my estimate very well.

Also I agree that the sequential unit number was not specific to a particular car model line etc, might have been a Dart Convertible built then 20 other models between the next Dart

Remember that sequence number includes all cars built on the Hamtramk line (which I believe was actually two lines). ALL A-body convertibles from '67-69 (not sure about earlier) were built at Dodge Main (Hamtramk). My GTS ('68 convertible) has a sequence number in the 111,7xx range (11,7xx cars scheduled - it was not a 1-1 in sequence number and SPD for a lot of reasons) with an SPD of 8/28/67. My '67 Barracuda convertible has a sequence # in the 302,8xx range with an unknown SPD. (311,***, a '67 GTS hardtop in the registry has an SPD of 4/6/67).
My 67 Barracuda convertible has a sequence number 314,*** and was built April 19, 1967. I was also told a rough estimate for convertibles made would be 2% of the engine automatic/4spd total numbers....who knows. I've wondered to that all the different parts required in building a convertible if they'd would of made several if them in a row??

-
Back