Help to unmask my new old beast.

-
Reaction score
Ive been reading with interest the treads on forum for slant 6 id and am hoping that I can get help with a couple of aspects which are 'exercising the grey matter'!
I have imported a Town Wagon from the States into the UK and just getting down to understanding the vehicle which is an unmodified Right hand drive.
My first task has been trying to work out the engine size and think that the forum might be able to unmask it for me.
The casting in the is Block is 2806830-3 ( which I think makes it a 225 or 198 engine block with a Forged steel crank??? with a oval plate with 0284 before the BH cast in letters.
The stamped id ( which I am including a photo of ) has the following :-
4 ( C or perhaps G) 196064 I might have expected the 196 bit to have been 198 but it looks fairly clear from the photo that its more likely to be a '6' although the beginning of the engine id number was mis-struck. Can anyone shed light on this for me please , and what about a Dodge Town Wagon being RH drive were there Dodge service vehicles in 1965??
Oh and the vin is 116 1511299 if that helps at all??! Cheers.
IMG_1832.jpeg
IMG_1816.jpeg

The 4G 196064 is the partial VIN of the car it was installed in.

It decodes like this;
4 - 1974 model year.
G - St. Louis assembly plant.
196064 - 96,064th VIN assigned to a car from this plant this year.

The 4G 196064 is the partial VIN of the car it was installed in.

It decodes like this;
4 - 1974 model year.
G - St. Louis assembly plant.
196064 - 96,064th VIN assigned to a car from this plant this year.
Thank you for responding - so this does not indicate the engine capacity at all then ?? The block has the 5 inline frost /expansion plugs which seem to imply the engine is either a 225" or 186", is there anyway of determining which with the engine in the vehicle?
:thankyou:

IMG_1800.jpeg

Which pad is that the stamped number is on? The one you want is located on the passenger's side of the block, just below where the alternator would be mounted, towards the front.

Mmmmm, OK I am going to have to remove the alternator bracket to find that - the stamp if uncovered is to the rear of the block casting on the same side but at the back. I will have another look, Cheers.:thankyou:

Mmmmm, OK I am going to have to remove the alternator bracket to find that - the stamp if uncovered is to the rear of the block casting on the same side but at the back. I will have another look, Cheers.:thankyou:

Yes, that's the wrong one for the engine information. You want the one in the front.

OK Thank you I see . A touch of Matthew 7:7-8.
with an added a touch of spanner work.

Thank you for the guidance
OK- found the serial number next to the alternator flange .
4W 225 4595
I am beginning to get this thank you -so the engine was built in 1974 at the Windsor engine plant and has a displacement of 225 and was signed off on 30th January 1974 ?

4595 is the 10,000 day calendar date code for the day the engine assembly was completed.

It February 25th, 1974

-
Back