help transmission

-

65 CUDA

Reaction score
i am using a 904 transmission from a 78 cordoba in my 65 barracuda and i need advice for what parts i need to use my og shifter handle to use on the cordoba 904 cuz shift cables wont wok on it

What engine do you plan on using? That's a late model 904 transmission. If you're using a pre 67 engine the crankshaft pilot is smaller diameter. Late model torque converters have the large diameter snout. 65'

Question, is this column or floor shift?
78 Cordoba, transmission is most likely a lock up

From a linkage perspective you could swap in a 66 steering column and get all the linkage that goes with it, OR use an aftermarket floor shiftier and linkage, you would still need kick down linkage in eather case.

The difference in crank shaft register diameter and converter hub diameter has already been mentioned, there is no easy way around that.........possibilities range from: pull engine, pull crank out, have register bored to fit converter; have custom converter made with smaller hub; MAYBE have hub on your converter turned down to fit; swap in a post 67 small block with larger register crankshaft

Good luck!!

i am using a 904 transmission from a 78 cordoba in my 65 barracuda and i need advice for what parts i need to use my og shifter handle to use on the cordoba 904 cuz shift cables wont wok on it

You are correct that your dual cable floor shifter won’t work. Imperial Services used to make a conversion kit to use one of their cables along with a spring change in the valve body to use the 65 shifter with a 66-later transmission; however, I think they are basically out of business. An aftermarket floor shifter will now be your best option.

And when Imperial was "in business", it still took over 6 months to get the cable for my '65.

I'm using the 360 motor that came with the transmission both are from a 78 Chrysler Cordoba and my 65 Plymouth barracuda fastback is automatic on the floor

Hurst Pro-matic 2 shifter. It fits under the stock floor column and looks stock. Must trim OG shifter mount off tunnel but its easy. Pardon old pic......
l,m=181ca61f7c0441d81e7175172cdfe23d,x=,t=25-iv1939?key=RHJzZi1henRzWG0yUGIzZXlvMU9IWEJuNVJNUHVn.jpg

I'm using the 360 motor that came with the transmission both are from a 78 Chrysler Cordoba and my 65 Plymouth barracuda fastback is automatic on the floor

That's better, now we got something to work with.......forget all the commentary about crankshaft registers and converter hubs.......only difficulty now is linkage and the simplest, easiest would be an aftermarket shiftier, dozens to choose from.......don't forget the kick down linkage from the Cordoba, and get the driveshaft, you'll be needing that.

Good luck!

Yes, it comes with everything you need. As noted, your driveshaft is different than the 'Dobas and that's also too long. If you can find a 66 driveshaft, youll be golden. Your stock 65 manifolds will be smaller than the 360's ports but wont hurt street driving. if your 360 has smog injector holes on the exhaust ports, they need to be plugged. And your driver motor mount bracket will not line up without a few washers. if worse comes to worse on the exhaust not sealing or fitting, you can (gasp!) use the 273 heads and intake on the 360 block.

Last edited:
Im running a 8 3/4 rear differential with 3.55 gears on my barracuda and I have a driveshaft that came out of a 66 mopar i think but idk if will be need to be shortened

Phista im using 5.9 magnum exhaust magnum exhaust manifolds and did plug up the 360 smog injector holes and im using Schumacher motor mounts to go from /6 to 340/360 engine

Use the converter, pump, input shaft and forward drum from the 360 904 into your 65 trans unless it's a lockup. Might not be. Look at the front of the input shaft see if it has a small smooth extension on it about 3/4" long. If it is a lockup with the shaft extension, go get a non lock 904 for the parts.

Use the converter, pump, input shaft and forward drum from the 360 904 into your 65 trans unless it's a lockup. Might not be. Look at the front of the input shaft see if it has a small smooth extension on it about 3/4" long. If it is a lockup with the shaft extension, go get a non lock 904 for the parts.
i am using the 904 trans/ 360 motor from the cordoba and not the 904/ slant 6 motor

I edited my 2:40 post to correspond with what was in my brain. None of the earlier posts indicated /6 and most 65 Barracudas came with V8.

-
Back