Help w/ 69 dart front drum

-

Upon9pwr

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to find out why I can't find a front drum w/ hub, does the old one come out of the drum?

yes it comes apart but the studs are sort of crimped like a rivet holding them together...can't remember the term...swagged maybe? anyways there is a special cutter to do the job...

Yes, hub and drum are staked together. If your hub is bad (very common to have an outer bearing race spun in those 9" hubs), you need to get another used one. I don't know of anyone that made those hubs new, including the dealer. The dealer sold them as a hub and drum assembly way back when they still had them. If it's just a new drum that you need, they're available new the last time I checked. You need to cut the swaged studs a bit so you can press them out and not ruin the hub. Let me know if you find one of those cutters, I'm still looking for a proper one and not just a hole saw. Once you get a new drum and studs, you should restake those studs like they were when you started. There again, there was a special tool used to do that when pressing the studs in. If you have a brake shop locally that's been around a while and has some experience with the older brakes, it might just be easier to have them do it, Or, just find a good used hub and drum assembly and be done with it. Just remember not to tighten the bearing nut too much. That's usually what causes the bearing to overheat and kill those hubs. I only tighten the nut as much as I can do with my fingers.

Ok thanks guys, I will see what I can do with it, more to this car than I bargained for

Thanks for the replays, used a press last night to get the old studs out, and pressed the new ones in, with the old hub and new drums, took a while but got it done, in the future probably going conversion, thanks for the input

-
Back