Help Wanted

-

Mason Moran

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I have found a ton of support on this forum, and think I should properly introduce myself. My name is Mason, I recently bought a 74 Plymouth Duster 225 Auto. I am new to working on cars, but have a mechanical background, coming from a farm/ranch upbringing in North Dakota. I moved to colorado for college, and decided to buy my car, despite it probably not being the "right" time in life to do so. (is there ever a right time for anything?)
Anyway, I am realizing I may be a bit in over my head here, and I think I really need a mentor of sorts. Someone who knows what they're doing to provide guidance, and even a helping hand if needed. I would be happy to pay for any help, and ideally for a place to keep the Duster while I work on her because my street parking can only offer so much.
I am in Boulder Colorado pursuing my Bachelors Degree, and if anyone is in the Denver/Boulder/Foco area, and willing to take me under their wing/ provide me a place to keep the Duster and work, I would be in your debt.

My plans for her in no particular order of necessity:
Rebuild Engine
Replace Trans
Fix brakes
Fix Power Steering
Fix electrical
Fix suspension/frame
Touch up body/ paint

I realize I am probably a bit in over my head, but what better way to learn than by failing!
I apologize for the lengthy post and am thrilled to hear from anyone.
To everyone that has helped me: Thank you so much.

My name is Mason and I am glad to be here!

Here she is
IMG_20200925_160115.jpg
IMG_20200925_160126.jpg
PXL_20201004_200216290.jpg

man, those rear wheels are sexy

pic a starting point, and tackle her one step at a time...maybe start with the front windshield?

there are plenty of people on here who are willing to help, just be precise on what you want to do/know

(hey @AJ/FormS he apologizes for the lengthy post, did you see that?
i like this kid allready)

Welcome! We're glad to have you! And you'll do well with the car.

Moran I'm sorry but you have your priorities out of order

Here is an example of how they should read:

Do NOT drive the car
Fix suspension/frame
Fix brakes
Fix Power Steering
Fix electrical
Rebuild Engine
Replace Trans
Touch up body/ paint

Someone else in one of your threads mentioned how serious some of the repairs are. If you are a student, maybe you should ask yourself "can I really afford this at this stage?"

In other words it might be a wise thought to consider selling the project and possibly look for one less demanding. A start would be one that does not require such drastic structural/ rust repair.

Do NOT drive the car
Fix suspension/frame
Fix brakes
Fix Power Steering
Fix electrical
Rebuild Engine
Replace Trans
Touch up body/ paint

Someone else in one of your threads mentioned how serious some of the repairs are. If you are a student, maybe you should ask yourself "can I really afford this at this stage?"

In other words it might be a wise thought to consider selling the project and possibly look for one less demanding. A start would be one that does not require such drastic structural/ rust repair.
Exactly. I saw the torsion bar crossmember and about had a heart attack. Many here would consider a car that needed those kind of repairs a good parts car. If that crossmember is in that bad of shape I'm certain there are many areas in the same or worse shape. It needs to be safe and you have school which should be a #1 priority.

Last edited:
Exactly. I saw the torsion bar crossmember and about had a heart attack. Many here would consider a car that needed those kind of repairs a good parts car. Uf that crossmember is in that bad of shape I'm certain there are many areas in the same or worse shape. It needs to be safe and you have school which should be a #1 priority.
I guess I didn't see those pictures, must have a different thread

Possibly if you shop around you'll be able to get a good price on a new windshield and keep the water from rushing in on the electrical..

Exactly. I saw the torsion bar crossmember and about had a heart attack. Many here would consider a car that needed those kind of repairs a good parts car. Uf that crossmember is in that bad of shape I'm certain there are many areas in the same or worse shape. It needs to be safe and you have school which should be a #1 priority.

Even 10 years ago, when I was in way better health than now (62 then) a serious floor/ crossmember/ addtional structural repair would have been exactly that.......either a parts car or down the road to someone else.

I appreciate all of your advice. Unfortunately, I am agreeing with you. I think now wasn't the right time to get in the game. It may be time to put up the for sale ads ):

What did you pay for it. No one will laugh if you paid too much. If it was cheap enough you might be able to part it out and make money.

There is a car club in the Denver area.

Saber????? They host the tristate swap meet.

As a member you have access to shop, tools, maybe even storage. There might be other clubs that offer the same.

I am not a member but I know a guy who is.

There is a Guy I think he is in Denver, who has a radio show Willie B's Garage. (Also on Motertrend TV, different show name )

Willie B's Garage.

I have heard him offer to loan his personal tool to a listener.

He does a lot of fund raising in the area maybe you two can come to an arrangement?

There is also garage squad tv show you could submit your story and maybe you get picked.

All of that being said.

If I was determined to move forward on it, I would replace the windshield first. ( Stop the water ingress)

Then the tortion bar cross member and any other suspension related rust.

There are a few A Bodies in wrecking yards near you so getting the frame parts might be doable. Pm me for the wrecking yards.

I agree that you should not drive the car other than to move it (boulder is a parking nightmare)

I'm up in FC but don't have room for my own stuff and not much extra time. I could hit a wrecking yard with you if you wanted.

Believe me I know where you are at with your car. I have been in over my head more times than I care to admit.

Last edited:

Do NOT drive the car
Fix suspension/frame
Fix brakes
Fix Power Steering
Fix electrical
Rebuild Engine
Replace Trans
Touch up body/ paint

Mason, I am usually happy to see a young person dig into a Mopar project, but I think I have to agree with @67Dart273 and @toolmanmike this time. Your education (and your grades) are your future. Your focus needs to be on classes, studying and GPA. Digging into an extensive project like this now would detract from your studies. You might think you can juggle it (and afford it), but you can't. These projects always take WAY longer and cost WAY more than expected. I am 70, and I've worked as an Air Force Officer (20 years), and at the Federal Home Loan Bank of Topeka in Internal Audit and then Market Risk Analysis. Believe me when I say that I have witnessed MANY times the job opportunity differences between a college graduate with an average GPA and a high GPA. If you can afford to store your project until after graduation, great. I just don't want to see you neglect your studies now and regret it later.

@Dana67Dart I paid $1700 and I've probably thrown about $150 in misc stuff at it. Probably gonna take a loss here

That’s ok. Cut your losses and move on now. Do not throw good money after bad money now.

Life is about learning experiences and this is one of many.

Yes it is. Though I have been warned about the dangers of driving it, and it isn't exactly fun to drive currently. But yes.

Hey Mason. I truly applaud your desire to get into the hobby. And you picked the best brand - Mopar!

I know on the farm you fix EVERYTHING! It may not be car work but given a shop and tools...and the help of those on FABO, I'm sure you could have done it.

But... like others have said. Your "spare" time needs to be spent on your studies. Maybe you can find something further along that you can drive and work on some small stuff.

Good luck with your studies and with finding and enjoying a Mopar!!! I love it when young people (guys and gals) get into the hobby!!

Sorry hear about your duster Mason. Don’t let this first classic mopar steer you away from them in the future. They are a pretty simple to work on the basics and to learn on. Dustin

Just saw your sale ad. Probably for the better.

Don't get discouraged

Mason, my opinion is either sell the car as is, or part it out to reclaim some of your investment
even at a partial loss. When you graduate with your degree, you can afford $$ a more solid Mopar than investing in one that will cost you plenty in repairs and downtime. You want a ready to drive Mopar with little to no issues. Trust me and listen to the wisdom..Been there done that. Forget the projects at your age and limited income. Get the degree and buy something done. :) You'll be happier and will enjoy what ever you buy without the major project hassels and frustrations. Best of Luck my fellow Mopar enthusiast.
HotRod20

-
Back