Help with 1959 Dodge Sweptline front suspension upgrade/conversion ideas?

-

jbc426

Reaction score
I'm about to dive into a full restomod for a buddy on a 1959 Dodge Sweptline 1/2 ton pickup. I did see that people have used Crown Victoria front suspensions on the later '61 to '74 Sweptlines, but I haven't seen anything for the earlier trucks. I also saw an expensive custom front end with rack and pinion for the later trucks, but again nothing for the older trucks.

If anyone else has any info about upgrading the brakes and front suspensions, I would be grateful to hear about it. Thanks

JBC426

Do you mean Styleline? Swepties didn't start until '61...
Check out the front suspensions from F/M/J cars, have been popular with rodders for years- just unbolt the K frame and out comes the whole front end, all self-contained. Transverse torsion bar suspension, disc brakes, power steering. Bolt/weld it in and go (well, sort of). Plus it stays all Mopar, and you can get parts for it anywhere.

The Sweptline was introduced early 1959 after discontinuing the Sweptside model.
Do you mean Styleline? Swepties didn't start until '61...
Check out the front suspensions from F/M/J cars, have been popular with rodders for years- just unbolt the K frame and out comes the whole front end, all self-contained. Transverse torsion bar suspension, disc brakes, power steering. Bolt/weld it in and go (well, sort of). Plus it stays all Mopar, and you can get parts for it anywhere.

Check out speedwaymotors.com they may have what you're looking for. 65'

The crown vic suspension is caveman simple to install, I have done 3 of them on 65 up sweptline trucks, but the earlier frame shouldn't be much different

What shape is your frame? My 56 Dodge 1/2 had a hour glass shape in the front, I tried installing a Volare clip, it could have been done with some one with better welding skills than me but it was challenging, I finally scrapped the frame mod, lifted the body off, scrapped the frame and rolled a 81 dodge truck Frame under it, even then I had to shorten the frame about 5 inches, but at least I had independent front suspension with disc brakes I could economically get parts for. However after much further research and the experience of doing one IF I did it again I would mount the body on a 2wd Dakota frame, and your done!

-
Back