HELP! Won't start

Mopar General Discussions

1. 72swinger83

72swinger83 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:01 AM
    Hey guys any help would be appreciated. I bought a new used heater bezel so I took the old one out, I figured since I had that out I would take the speedo bezel out to assist with putting a new radio in.
    So I have the speedometers bezel and radio/heater bezel out. I ran a power wire to the new radio and a ground,got nothing so I ran a wire from the positive post and a negative to the negative post to check the radio and it came on.
    Now the part I need helpl with I have everything still out and when I went to turn the key .....nothing. what did I do?
    Please any he'll would be great
    Thanks
    Frank

2. mac daddy mopar

mac daddy mopar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:01 AM
    Make sure you got everything plugged back in, it sounds like somethings loose.

3. 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    1:01 AM
    Did you leave the ammeter unhooked? That is the only connections in the dash group that would cause a "no crank" condition??

4. 72swinger83

Local Time:
    I am thinking that I might have accidentally unhooked the ignition somehow is that possible and how do I undo it? I could be totally wrong on this customer I am idiot. Any thoughts?

5. cudamark

cudamark FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    I agreee. If you took the instrument cluster out, you'll need to connect the two ammeter wires together if you want any power in the dash.

6. dustermaniac

dustermaniac Senior Member

Local Time:
    Run a jumper wire from your large positive battery lead on your alternator to your positive battery post and see if you get power. This will bypass the ammeter gauge and you should have power to the key.

7. green1

green1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    He has power from the bay. Put it back together, then hook radio to a switched wire. From underneath.

8. 72swinger83

Local Time:
    well the only things that works right now is the horn haha, if the weather is nice tomorrow I will mess with it some more, but what you guys are saying is that without that ammeter hooked up the engine won't crank and there will be no power to the radio, is that correct? Thank you again, I know a bunch of stupid questions but this is my first attempt at this sort of stuff
    Frank

9. 72swinger83

Local Time:
    I will try that tomorrow thanks for the help guys

10. green1

green1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Put the dash back together, see if it starts; if so, good. Now get a voltmeter, and find a wire that only has power with key on, could be the cig lighter. Splice radio into that.

11. 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Cigarette lighter is powered full time.

12. cudamark

Local Time:
    Why is there any "splicing" to begin with? Why not just use the factory connection? If you have a modern unit that needs a full time memory source, just add a fused power wire for it from the fuse box.

13. 72swinger83

Local Time:
    Yea I am keeping the original radio in the dash and hide a new CD player in the glovebox so I am going to use the power to the old radio unless that's a bad idea

14. cudamark

Local Time:
    Check the specs on the new unit and see what is required for a power source. Then check your fuse block for the stock radio circuit and make sure the new unit doesn't require more than what the stock circuit allows. The amperage requirement should be marked on the plastic fuse block next to the fuse. If you need more than the stock circuit will allow, you may need to run a power circuit straight from the battery (fused of course!) You'll need the proper size wire and fuse for whatever amperage is required so look in the manual that came with the new unit. I wouldn't add the new unit to other existing circuits as overloading the bulkhead connector is common even without the added amperage draw. Don't forget using grommets if you punch new holes in the firewall. You'd be surprised how fast a wire will chafe down to the conductors and short out.

15. eric22

eric22 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I have the same problem :( Im gonna mess with the ammeter tomo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.