Hemi Electronics Question

-

RichardR

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking of running the gen3 hemi with a carb and might go the MSD6 route, but I'm curious about something. Has anyone ran a carbed hemi with a modified stock wire harness and stock ECU?
Thanks

Hi,
I'm thinking of running the gen3 hemi with a carb and might go the MSD6 route, but I'm curious about something. Has anyone ran a carbed hemi with a modified stock wire harness and stock ECU?
Thanks

By no means am I any kind of "expert" but if you are going to use carb/MSD ignition. Why would you need the FI OEM ECU/wiring harness?

MSD controls the ignition timing with sensors in your carb intake manifold. While your carb is ran from mechanical/electric fuel pump and cable throttle cable like off any non FI engine.

If you plan on not running all the fancy speed control and such from the stock ecu you can do two things.
1. by the gold mega squirt to control the factory efi etc. $1300(My son has gone this rout he will boost his motor in time and the mega squirt will control and do all that and more)
2. MSD Hemi 6 this controls the electronic side of the motor, timing and coil packs. (if you are running a carb this is the cheapest and easiest way to control the Gen 3) I went this way and will be able to tell you in the next week or so it its a good choice. I researched this before I bought it, most guys that are naturally asperated and just want to control the spark and timing have said this is a great way to go, and I agree. I also run a fast efi system on mine thru their throttle body and that is just like a carb but much easier to tune in my book.

Keep an open mind and read a lot take notes and pick the path that best fits your budget and time line of your project.

by the way there are other options out there but these two seam to be the most popular.

Good Luck

-
Back