Hemi engine swap..is it worth it

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
Ok I have the opportunity to get a 2014 5.7 that came out of a Dodge Charger. Was thinking of putting it in my 70 dart. Was going to do the carburetor route for ease of installation along with bigger cam and headers. Is it worth doing this swap over putting my LA 360 back in after a build or just inspect the Hemi and do new rings, bearings, gaskets and springs for cam..

It's not a cheap swap by any means but its a killer engine and that year i think has the really good heads. Just a cam swap and that thing really comes alive.

It's not a cheap swap by any means but its a killer engine and that year i think has the really good heads. Just a cam swap and that thing really comes alive.

Yeah won't be cheap..just wondering if it's really worth doing..customs engine mounts, oil pan, headers, oil filter relocation kit. Plus the stand alone kit for using a carburetor. Trans adapter for a 727.. Not sure what hp and torque they make with intake and cam swap.

Yeah won't be cheap..just wondering if it's really worth doing..customs engine mounts, oil pan, headers, oil filter relocation kit. Plus the stand alone kit for using a carburetor. Trans adapter for a 727.. Not sure what hp and torque they make with intake and cam swap.
I think that year is 370 hp so with the good carb intake probably around 380- 390hp.

Sounds right I'd like 450 hp if I do the swap..it's either 5.7 or 360 magnum or la just need to make a decision
Cam swap should get you there pretty easy, those heads flow incredible compared to a magnum or la.

Cam swap should get you there pretty easy, those heads flow incredible compared to a magnum or la.
That's what I hear..huge ports for sure. Just curious if the swap is that difficult with the proper swap parts they sell. Seems pretty straightforward really. 70 Dart slant 6 k member , manual brakes and steering. What kit is there for the carb swap. What actually fires the coils and such. Also will my stock transmission cross member work I'd be using a 727 or 904..

That's what I hear..huge ports for sure. Just curious if the swap is that difficult with the proper swap parts they sell. Seems pretty straightforward really. 70 Dart slant 6 k member , manual brakes and steering. What kit is there for the carb swap. What actually fires the coils and such. Also will my stock transmission cross member work I'd be using a 727 or 904..
I'm not an expert on the swap but Facebook has a gen3 Hemi swap group that can answer all your questions.

Thats kind of what I was thinking

I`d stay w/ the 360 and put some really good alum heads on it , would be cheaper by far . And dam sure wouldnt go to the trouble of putting the little 5.7 in it , 6.1 or 6.4 att least 1

I`d stay w/ the 360 and put some really good alum heads on it , would be cheaper by far . And dam sure wouldnt go to the trouble of putting the little 5.7 in it , 6.1 or 6.4 att least 1

Yeah I agree think I'll do that..heck maybe some Trick Flow heads look like they make killer power

If going with a carb I just don't see it being worth it in my opinion.

To me the reason to do the modern hemi swap is not only get the engine but also all the modern technology that goes with it.

If going with a carb I just don't see it being worth it in my opinion.

To me the reason to do the modern hemi swap is not only get the engine but also all the modern technology that goes with it.

Yeah the fuel injection would be awesome. Just seemed like a lot more work though.

I was driving my 72 Demon yesterday with its modern Gen 3 Hemi installed. I can enthusiastically say yes it is worth it. Is it difficult, depends on your skill set. For me it was but I did it all myself. Frankly it took me to the edge of my skill set. I encountered a million little hurdles. It was frustrating and took me a long time. Would I do it again? Heck yeah! I am already planning my next build. If you get super bored I did a build thread on it and it takes you thru many of the hurdles I faced. Somebody more savvy likely would not have encountered my many mistakes. The build thread is titled Gen 3 Hemi in 72 Demon. In addition if you are serious about doing the swap I would start a thread. I was amazed at how many folks followed it and offered solutions and guidance. I never would have made it without all the FABO support. Plus I got to meet a bunch of great folks.

A86A2847-D775-40FA-B00A-5842501510E4.jpeg

I was driving my 72 Demon yesterday with its modern Gen 3 Hemi installed. I can enthusiastically say yes it is worth it. Is it difficult, depends on your skill set. For me it was but I did it all myself. Frankly it took me to the edge of my skill set. I encountered a million little hurdles. It was frustrating and took me a long time. Would I do it again? Heck yeah! I am already planning my next build. If you get super bored I did a build thread on it and it takes you thru many of the hurdles I faced. Somebody more savvy likely would not have encountered my many mistakes. The build thread is titled Gen 3 Hemi in 72 Demon. In addition if you are serious about doing the swap I would start a thread. I was amazed at how many folks followed it and offered solutions and guidance. I never would have made it without all the FABO support. Plus I got to meet a bunch of great folks.

View attachment 1715763329

Thanks I'll definitely check thread out. Just depends on if this guy brings me the engine today like he said. Guess I'll leave it to fate. If he brings it then it's a go

View attachment 1715763329
Thanks I'll definitely check thread out. Just depends on if this guy brings me the engine today like he said. Guess I'll leave it to fate. If he brings it then it's a go
Here's a shortcut for you. 6.1 Hemi into 72 Demon March 2018

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ but as Mopar fan we know this going into it. There is something about those wires coming out of the valve covers that gets our hearts racing and $$$$ out of our wallets. its a matter of whats your budget and goal. 318..340..or yeah its got a hemi.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ but as Mopar fan we know this going into it. There is something about those wires coming out of the valve covers that gets our hearts racing and $$$$ out of our wallets. its a matter of whats your budget and goal. 318..340..or yeah its got a hemi.

I'm with you. I never get tired of the look of those wires out of the valve covers! Btw, what is a realistic estimate on cost of a Gen3 Hemi swap? Just in case a FABO member is dreaming.......

I'm with you. I never get tired of the look of those wires out of the valve covers! Btw, what is a realistic estimate on cost of a Gen3 Hemi swap? Just in case a FABO member is dreaming.......
I priced it out for my duster once but with the holley efi computer, i think it was around $4,000 and that's if you can get an engine at a reasonable price.

Bottom line is what do you want? Your money, time, effort and enjoyment. Nobody walks in your shoes, (and very few help pay)

-
Back