Hemi hood scoop reinforcement bars

-

savoy

Reaction score
What are folks doing for "jail bars" used to reinforce the hemi hood scoops? Availability and source please. Thanks in advance.

I bought mine from AAR, the same place I got my scoop.

Stantion Post Set | AAR Quality Fiberglass Reproductions

upload_2017-12-21_6-9-57.png

What are folks doing for "jail bars" used to reinforce the hemi hood scoops? Availability and source please. Thanks in advance.
why not make them out of some appropriate length screws w/ a flat, pretty head , and the right size tubing cut to perfect length? Most of the "fast" super stockers run more than two tho

You could probably go to a home improvement store & buy all the pieces for far less than what AAR wants for their kit.

Thanks guys. I will check with AAR and see what they have to say, but like someone said, most likely will end up making my own. I will run a minimum of 3 simply for the look. Appreciate the replies.

All-thread & aluminum tubing. You'll need 3 at least if you're actually going to race it. IIRC, it cost me about $6 total.......

It almost has to be an even number of stantions because of the ridge in the center of the scoop. One or two on each side, evenly spaced.

This is true. I used the aluminum tubing on my my Savoy hood, but thought due to the greater height I might need to go to something more substantial. Thanks for the replies.

Thanks guys. I will check with AAR and see what they have to say, but like someone said, most likely will end up making my own. I will run a minimum of 3 simply for the look. Appreciate the replies.
ATTA BOY, SAVOY! LOL

As for the risk of rip off of the scoop, I think this was more of a problem in the early days of racing these car, due to the alu. sheet metal plate used, covering the full opening under the scoop, except over carbs of cause… thus not allowing any air to escape in to the engine compartment. Not so much on the B-Class cars of ´68-69, but later in the seventies as cars got faster, bars where added.
Also one inch or larger flat washers inside of hood, or if sheet metal plate is used, would help a lot too.
First picture is of the sheet metal plate under the hood used in the early days.
Second picture shows other type of reinforcement of the scoop.

scoop 2.jpg

scoop reinforsment 2.jpg

Thanks for those photos. The guys back then did what ever they needed to do to make stuff work!

Like the other people hardware store 6 bucks. they are hard to see, I painted them black. there are four of them.

22449748_1565695286801921_833822582807203999_n.jpg

Here's some pic's of mine. Stainless steel tubing some chrome washers and some stainless steel t-nuts I polished.

20171222_171642.jpg

20171222_171633.jpg

20171021_153858.jpg

I am running two on mine, but may add more. They are made from fuel line tubing and long hardware store screws.

It is fine at 1/8 mile tracks, but 1/4 mile it is distorting, and lifting up in the rear. I still run hood hinges on mine and found that it lifts as much as an 1.5-2" at the top end of the track.

-Dave

2017 SHRA in Denton small.jpg

It almost has to be an even number of stantions because of the ridge in the center of the scoop. One or two on each side, evenly spaced.
A lot of the scoops need more than two to keep the opening spaced evenly all the
way across.
Of course most of u guys ain`t runnin 150-160 m.p.ph. in the quarter either !

All-thread & aluminum tubing. You'll need 3 at least if you're actually going to race it. IIRC, it cost me about $6 total.......
. I went this route also. Though I don't use the Abody scoop, the idea is the same. I trimmed the locking (grooved ) parts off 2 dzus fasteners and drilled/tapped 1/4" . As above used threaded rod and polished some -6 fuel line cut to size for spacing

20170819_194817.jpg

ot ofn the scoops need
. I went this route also. Though I don't use the Abody scoop, the idea is the same. I trimmed the locking (grooved ) parts off 2 dzus fasteners and drilled/tapped 1/4" . As above used threaded rod and polished some -6 fuel line cut to size for spacing

View attachment 1715138719
1966-67 B body superstock scoop, first time I`ve seen one on an A body fish !

Yup, I didn't want the added height on the street, but wanted an OE look.

Yup, I didn't want the added height on the street, but wanted an OE look.
That`s exactly why I went w/ a 6 pack scoop on my 68 fastback. It has grown on me since , and most others like it.

-
Back