Hemi legend, Harry Holton 87 dies 6/17/19

-

'63GT

Reaction score
Please extend your prayers to Sonia, Julie, Marsha, Chris, Less, Mark, Jared, and the many others I neglected to mention. Including the many friends Harry enjoyed over the years, like Bob Jenkins, Mikey Weise, Don Little, Chuck Rayborn and a host of others, too many to list.
If you knew Harry, would you be kind enough to comment and include a story?
If you're unaware of Harry Holton, one of his cars used to adorn the FABO main page.
HarryHolton.jpg
Harry Holton
HarryTimex.jpg

HarryJeg.jpg
Harry and Jeg Coughlin
HarryHoltonBev.jpg
HarryHoltonBo29.jpg

...from the early days...

I remember Harry since I was a boy, visiting the shop and seeing the cool cars with 2 carburetors and huge tires on the back. That was 1975. Once I came of age, I spent LOTS of time at Harrys shop. Whether it was for lunch to catch up on the latest tech and racing news, or just chattin it up. Or testing one of my cylinder heads, first on Don Littles flowbench, and eventually on Harry's 601. Some of my fondest memories was getting into a friendly porting competition with Chris Holton to see who could come out on top!
Harry took a real interest in that, and began giving me tips on where to grind. lol (sorry Chris...) It was Harry, Don, and Chris that led me to finally owning my own flowbench.
In fact, Don Little used to say, "Harry has a funny way of getting people addicted to racing.." (so true Don! but so did you!)
But Harry was always so much more than that.. Harry loved my girls! I think it was in 2000, Harry took the time to give my oldest daughter, when she was just 8 yrs old, a personal tour of the car hauler that was purchased to haul the team across country. Harry even gave her a ride on the elevator ramp. What a tremendous man!
In 1986 I remember pulling up to the shop and seeing Harry washing a motorhome, I said, "Harry, that is the goofiest looking racecar I ever seen! ". He just laughed and said, "this is as fast as I go anymore..."
I thought the life of the Legend was over right then. Little did I know, in 10 yrs that was going to change. But not just for my experience, or Harry's life, but also the fate of the SS Hemi's from then on. That was when Michael Ogburn enlisted Harry to build a motor for the 'Cuda he bought from Harry, so he could go shake it up. That they did ! I was so excited for Harry! To have a front row seat to this was over the top !!
This meant the resetting the SS/AA record formally held by Bucky Hess, and lowering that same record just a few months later in Mission BC.
That weekend in BC led to the beginning of several records set, taken away, reset, and taken back and eventually the title at the 2004 Hemi Challenge in Indy. Driven then by none other than Jeg Coughlin and powered by "Timex". Which is the name given, by Harry, to the engine that won the event and set so many records with. All of Harry's masterpieces had a name.
This momentum continued with Ray Barton stepping up his game and drew the attention of Charlie Wescott which proved to be all the ingredients needed for the NHRA to give the mighty Hemi the new designation of SS/AH.
There is so much more to this story...

Last edited:
SS/A Barracudas and Darts THE original Dragway BRAWLERS All others just followers, Thank you to ALL of the legends that pulled into the beams and showed us. Rest peacefully Sir.

Last edited:
Never met him, but I knew of him. Major player for sure. May he RIP.

Thanks for sharing 63gt, great stories and many more I'm sure!
My condolences to everyone affected,
RIP Harry.

Thanks for sharing 63gt, great stories and many more I'm sure!
My condolences to everyone affected,
RIP Harry.

Thank you 4spdragtop (others too) Yes, lots of memories.. Harry was one to leave an effect on you, even if you met him for the first time. Harry was always encouraging, supportive, and mostly humble. I always looked up to him, but he never looked down to me.
If he really liked you, he gave you a nick name. I'm especially proud to wear the one he gave me. I'm gonna miss hearing it. Maybe Jared will bless my ears with it in the future.

-
Back