Hemi Oil filter MALE thread removal!?

-

Boony405hp

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am trying to remove that oil filter thread and it will not budge one bit, I can not get it to budge. It is a standard thread ie. turn left to loosen? Not some sort of reverse thread?

I tried what I've read in other forums so far with not luck, now the thread is being destroyed and even collapsed on one side so I'm running out of options fast!

Little confused on what exactly you are trying to do. Remove a tight filter? Or.....what do ya mean remove the threads? Picture is worth a thousand words.

I'm in the process of installing the TTI block off plate, in order to do that you need to remove the male thread in which your oil filter would screw on to.

This is what I am talking about (keep in mind this is off a 6.1 crate) mine is a 5.7 from a car and does not have a hex head in it. It is just hollow.

Not familiar with that engine so rather then give you bad advice............. In general I would assume right hand threads and applied heat and then double nuts to remove.

Are you using a good sharp jawed pipe wrench?

Can you stick a bolt into the tube to keep it from crushing ?

I didn't have access to a pipe wrench, tried vice grips etc with no luck. Ended up welding a nut on to the bottom of the thread and getting a socket on to it and a big breaker bar. A lot harder than I anticipated for something that should have been simple.

Glad you got it off.

A pipe wrench is a valuable tool that does things vice grips or channel lock pliers can't

Its easier to just make your own engine mounts that allow a stock filter IMO. "Easy", "Bolt in", "Swap" are words that should never be used in the same sentence as TTI.

Ive seen that pic somewhere b4! LOL!!

FWIW Boony...even that 6.1 fitting was damn tight from memory - I had to slot a socket and breaker bar over the end of the allen wrench...and was expecting the allen wrench to snap at any moment...in true cheap shitty chinese tool tradition!

Hate to bring an old thread to the top but do I need to remove this for the 45 degree oil filter adapter? I just want to make sure before I wreck the threads

pipe wrench failed at first. drilled hole through stud, stuck screw-driver through, bent it! returned to pipe wrench, eventually got it. Need sharp pipe wrench!!!

-
Back