Hemi scoop

-
yup, best glass I've ever used.

947400_10201040518644553_1110053745_n.jpg

600884_10201040518484549_997686560_n.jpg

Good thing it isn't your car @JoeSBP.. My current car has a six pack hood. I just so happen to like both hoods.

I don't like a lot of things but I don't insult other people for their choices. Not my money, not my car.

Like to put a Hemi 4 inch scoop on my 70' Dart. Glasstek has them for $325 shipped. Anyone have experience with them. Any other manufactures that have a good scoop.
I have not personally used glasstek but from what others have said and a Mopar customization shop here says that’s the only place they buy their glass hoods from. The quality is great and no fitment issues. I ordered a hood from VFn have not received it yet as they are the only ones that make it so I cannot even rate them. Hopefully some non-smartass will chime in and let you know.

This is my AAR 6 pack hood. Now it was bought quite a few years ago, but as you can see it's garbage, needs to be re-blocked and re-sprayed.

20150430_150814.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

I was kidding. Hood looks good :rolleyes:

Good thing it isn't your car @JoeSBP.. My current car has a six pack hood. I just so happen to like both hoods.

I don't like a lot of things but I don't insult other people for their choices. Not my money, not my car.

Was wondering about that, looks like big dummies car !
One of the few mopars that , that scoop looks good on .

Some people put a scoop on their hood for the look of it and some scoop their hoods for a performance gain . I highly recommend a Hemi scoop if performance is your goal . In order for a scoop to work fully it must be at least 3" above the hood surface AND the carb/efi must be sealed to the underside of the hood . this can be done homemade with a sheet of aluminum and foam gasket from the home center . Provisions must be made to relieve the pressure created by the seal at the back of the aluminum plate or the hood may blow off . We did a blind study using the scooped hood and switching to a flat hood . At the dragstrip with the flat hood we hit 12.2 sec.. After switching to scooped hood we hit 11.8 . No other changes were made . Later with a jet change we hit 11.70 . You decide but my money is on the Hemi scoop .

Isn't there an improvement in intake air temps even with a shorter or non-sealed scoop? There must be some difference from breathing hot underhood air vs. cooler ambient air...

Yes there is . However with a shorter scoop most of the boundry air goes over the top of the scoop , not into the carb . We didn't test the shorter scoops because of economics . We took the info we gleaned from MP/DC and expanded it a bit . When we tried without a means of relieving the pressure the hood lifted and we had to abort the run . Without sealing the carb to the hood resulted in no gain . We still use the scoop today on a Gen I 'Cuda , 417 stroker, 904, 9" drag radials . Runs 10.7's . goes like mad

Nothing makes me cringe like seeing a crappy Chevy hood on a clean and otherwise gorgeous Falcon.
i get the joke but i also giggle at the o.e. mopar freaks that cringe at non stock lug nuts. personally i like the mopar scoops better but lets face it, no nova ever came out with that scoop on it. this one looks good to me also on this car just like the A.A.R. side exit pipes. guess i will be boiling some blood when i put a pistol grip on my new project 440 4 speed 69 fastback cuda that was born a 318 auto.

I wish I had the guts to put a nice big hemi scoop on. Maybe if I score a hood...........(Actually there IS one on the parts car, someone put an aborted dual snorkel setup on it...........>)

-
Back