Hemi Swap Info

-

DA4AD

Reaction score
I'm also a member over at CudaChallenger.com
A member there (YellowFin) has started a website to help inform everyone and minimize cost's on Hemi transplants.
Please help support this. If we all get togeather and share info I think we can greatly reduce the costs.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=103121.0

[ame]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18158020/hemi-swap-technology-database[/ame]

:burnout:

I'm not a member there but will share tune files and anything else I can help with.

The problem (for some) is that utilization of Hotwire Auto or Modern Muscle's system requires DBW throttle. I, personally, could give 2 hoots about the MDS, but I sure love the VVT!

There already is a site for that, its called Modern Muscle. http://www.modernmuscleperformance.com/
VVT and MDS are the last thing on a swap list for Easy,Simple and Cheap.

Modern muscle is a long ways off from what I am putting together. They are very knowledgeable and have many products to aid in these swaps, yes.

The difference is, some people are very economical/frugal or maybe just like a challenge, and would prefer to do the swaps without expensive components.

Yes there are $1,000 wiring harnesses out there, but should they be the only option, not at all.g
Everyone deserves to have the ability to do these things themselves if they so choose.

Here is a GM LS page that show some of the information I want to share for the hemi crowd
http://www.lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm

Here is a database example for tune file database.
https://www.hptuners.com/customers/tune.php?

With this info, the average joe can perform a hemi swap for far less financial commitment.

On the other site you were looking for a variety of different ECMs. Are you looking for new (direct from Chrysler) or used?

On the other site you were looking for a variety of different ECMs. Are you looking for new (direct from Chrysler) or used?

Either are fine, I am looking for as many as possible of different configurations and operating software.

Heck, I'll even take any electronic file I can get. The more plentiful the database, the better!

My thinking was don't get to side tracked with VVT MDS, and just get it going in its simplest form first and foremost. Get the 32 tooth relucter engines dialed with turboes,blowers and nitrous tunes then move up the ladder.

long way off? not sure what that is supposed to mean,

Here is my thinking

Its awesome when people can do things for themselves, However certain things are should be left to the professional. I cant tell you how many people have called me up that tried to flash there own PCM or build their own harness. Not to mention the limitations of the HPtuners

I think one of the main issues a database such as you propose is going to confront - is the incredibly wide range of different combinations and therefore 'tunes' you will have to detail.

Even the difference between a carb-style throttle body induction and factory EFI is significant...then you have to consider the ignition managment system, which version of the motor, cam shaft variations etc.....

You'll end up compiling a heap of data...but most of it wont be transferrable.

A better idea might be to simply list working combinations with appx pricing and a performance/difficulty rating system?

Yes there are $1,000 wiring harnesses out there, but should they be the only option, not at all.

Everyone deserves to have the ability to do these things themselves if they so choose.

Here is a GM LS page that show some of the information I want to share for the hemi crowd

http://www.lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm

This is exactly what we need, pretty much everything on the engine goes back to the ECU, we should be able to get by with a relatively simple add on harness that supplements the factory harness rather than replaces it completely. If you buy a new crate engine you may well need a complete harness, but for those people pulling their engines out of cars it seems like overkill.

long way off? not sure what that is supposed to mean,

Here is my thinking

Its awesome when people can do things for themselves, However certain things are should be left to the professional. I cant tell you how many people have called me up that tried to flash there own PCM or build their own harness. Not to mention the limitations of the HPtuners

By long way off, I meant that we are after two totally different objectives. You offer products, I want to offer DIY information. The way I see it is a win-win situation. Even if they make their own harnesses, you should still see an influx of ecm flashes.

Not trying to be an @$$, just having a discussion

Some of us are quite capable. I have worked in the industry for almost two decades as a
Mechanical Engineer. I agree, some people should leave well enough alone. However,
Some people have more than enough intellect to perform such
Modifications. I just want to help the mopar community grow.

I think one of the main issues a database such as you propose is going to confront - is the incredibly wide range of different combinations and therefore 'tunes' you will have to detail.

Even the difference between a carb-style throttle body induction and factory EFI is significant...then you have to consider the ignition managment system, which version of the motor, cam shaft variations etc.....

You'll end up compiling a heap of data...but most of it wont be transferrable.

A better idea might be to simply list working combinations with appx pricing and a performance/difficulty rating system?

The basis is not to try to cover every combo out there. Instead, it's a collective listing of files that can aid people in their own specific setups. It's a library, not a plug and play system. People can feed off of each other and tailor things to fit their application.

I just don't understand why some mopar owners do not like to share information. I thought we were all on the same team? Chevy guys and ford guys have diarrhea of the mouth when it comes to LS swaps. I can get an Ls swap harness knocked out in 1 hour with $40 in materials. That's because of research, planning and a wealth of data available online.

There is nothing wrong with helping other enthusiasts. There is nothin wrong with wanting to build a harness yourself. There is nothing wrong with flashing your own ecm if you have the tools and the talent.

We are on the same team, people.

The basis is not to try to cover every combo out there. Instead, it's a collective listing of files that can aid people in their own specific setups. It's a library, not a plug and play system. People can feed off of each other and tailor things to fit their application.

I just don't understand why some mopar owners do not like to share information. I thought we were all on the same team? Chevy guys and ford guys have diarrhea of the mouth when it comes to LS swaps. I can get an Ls swap harness knocked out in 1 hour with $40 in materials. That's because of research, planning and a wealth of data available online.

There is nothing wrong with helping other enthusiasts. There is nothin wrong with wanting to build a harness yourself. There is nothing wrong with flashing your own ecm if you have the tools and the talent.

We are on the same team, people.

I really like and appreciate your attitude, man. And I agree that information should be freely shared on these engines like those LS boys do. With the help of folks like you we will all benefit.

Thanks for your efforts.

Mopar to ya!

This would help out a lot of people for sure.Thanks for taking the time time to start this

Not trying to start arguments but "limitations on Hptuners". Care to elaborate on this comment Modern Muscle

I know HP tuners used to have limitations on segment swaps, connectivity and datalogging with the chryslers. I am on a beta testing group for the new version of HP that is, so far, drastically improved. I am no software expert, but it seems to have everything that I would want as a tuner. Not sure what deficiencies Modern Muscle has experienced, but I am always willing to learn a thing or two.

Do you guys have a wiring schematic yet? I've got a truck harness I can use to start making a new one for my 6.1L.

Might be cheaper than buying a Hotwire harness.

Riddler

Im playing'catch up, here....so is this library going to detail wiring schematics, ignition tuning using factory ECUs.....correct?

Correct. While the kickstarter project failed to be funded. I am still continuing with this work. However, it will be at a snails pace compared to what it could have been. ECM's
Are $350 a piece and I will have to purchase the entire lot over time.

The wiring harness is really straight forward and I will have that done first.

I'd simply love a supplier of plugs and pins for the injectors, sensors, and coils.

I am using Megasquirt and making my own harness, I'd prefer not to cut and splice the factory harness to connect to the MS3 ECM.

Anybody have a source just for the connectors?

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I might try and make my own wiring harness. I thought about buying a Hotwire Harness and Chinese copying it. That way I can see what already works. I'm sure it could be made much cheaper.

Riddler

-
Back