Hemi vs Wedge

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I understand what a Hemi head is, but what is a Wedge head?
I never understood that. ...

Jeff

All mopars are wedges except hemi and poly

Well that just cleared it right on up, now didn't it? Talk about a useless answer.

Here, this will help. Wedge refers to the combustion chamber shape when the piston is at TDC. Because the piston top makes up part of the combustion chamber when it is at TDC, it is part of that shape. See the picture below.

WEDGE CHAMBER.jpg

Many makes utilized the wedge shaped combustion chamber. Chrysler used it as a marketing tool. Look at the area above the piston in the picture above. Between the piston top, valve, head and plug you can plainly see the wedge shape that squeezes the air fuel mixture toward the spark plug during compression, making for a more complete burn. Chevys were wedges from 55 all the way into the 2000s and most still are. GM just never used it as a marketing tool. Most automotive marketing names were just that. Marketing. But in this case when you see "340 WEDGE" callouts on a Duster hood for example, although it is marketing, it really meant something too.

old Flat Head Fords were not wedges

sorry... had to.... :D

1967 273 Wedge 2 barrel or 4 barrel 920 casting number head 1.78 in intake valves, 1.50 exhaust valves, side by side.

920 1st Head 1.JPG

1956 341 Desoto Hemi Head 1.94 intake valve, 1.75 exhaust valve, on center, fully machined combustion chamber.

341 Desoto  Head 3.JPG

Well that just cleared it right on up, now didn't it? Talk about a useless answer.

Here, this will help. Wedge refers to the combustion chamber shape when the piston is at TDC. Because the piston top makes up part of the combustion chamber when it is at TDC, it is part of that shape. See the picture below.

View attachment 1715326223

Many makes utilized the wedge shaped combustion chamber. Chrysler used it as a marketing tool. Look at the area above the piston in the picture above. Between the piston top, valve, head and plug you can plainly see the wedge shape that squeezes the air fuel mixture toward the spark plug during compression, making for a more complete burn. Chevys were wedges from 55 all the way into the 2000s and most still are. GM just never used it as a marketing tool. Most automotive marketing names were just that. Marketing. But in this case when you see "340 WEDGE" callouts on a Duster hood for example, although it is marketing, it really meant something too.
Awesome answer....thank you!

Jeff

I'm pretty sure Mopar wasn't the first to come out with the hemispheric head, but as stated they sure pushed it for marketing...

lol... I don't know, i'm not a flat 8 expert, just throwing some real, good, useful information … :D

I'm no expert in the least, but even a briggs and stratton flathead is a wedge. You ever had one apart?

I'm no expert in the least, but even a briggs and stratton flathead is a wedge. You ever had one apart?
a briggs and Stratton? lol... of course I've had 'em apart. when I was 10 I would use a drill and wire brush to give 'em a valve job. worked too. Changed the pulleys on riding lawn mowers I got for free, them was my go carts :)

a briggs and Stratton? lol... of course I've had 'em apart. when I was 10 I use to use a drill and wire brush to give 'em a valve job. worked too. Changed the pulleys on riding lawn mowers I got for free, them was my go carts :)

Then you should remember the wedge shaped combustion chamber. A flathead Ford is the same x 8.

Then you should remember the wedge shaped combustion chamber. A flathead Ford is the same x 8.
tell ya another trick of mine besides the "wire brush on a drill valve job",.. replace the cast iron fly wheel on the riding mower with an aluminum fly wheel from a lawn mower. Yes sir, them 4 hp would act like 7 hp. Rip the snot out of your fingers trying to start it and it would back fire, but I could pull a wheelie so high you thought you were going to flip backwards.... :D you know, the those old riding mowers that the motor was under your seat. no deck, it was part of the body. no steering wheel, rather handle bars. freebies.... :D

tell ya another trick of mine besides the "wire brush on a drill valve job",.. replace the cast iron fly wheel on the riding mower with an aluminum fly wheel from a lawn mower. Yes sir, them 4 hp would act like 7 hp. Rip the snot out of your fingers trying to start it and it would back fire, but I could pull a wheelie so high you thought you were going to flip backwards.... :D you know, the those old riding mowers that the motor was under your seat. no deck, it was part of the body. no steering wheel, rather handle bars. freebies.... :D
How did we go from Hemi vs. Wedge to doing wheelies on lawn mowers??! LOL

-
Back