Hey Del, Look what I found!!! An original Miller Gauge tester!!!

-
Phooey. The instructions I found for your meter suck I didn't see anything on the Snap on site. Just for giggles did you try your old black meter?

Well guys I'm off to bed. Later and thanks for the dissection LOL

Ok, retried with the digital gauge, and nada...

So I put my old trusty analog gauge on there, held both probes together and zeroed the needle out, then put them across each resistor, and this is what I got:

Does this make any sense to you???

The blue resistor bands look like brown, black , black , gold, so it is 10 Ohms + - 5%. First picture best to see.

Very cool find Karl. How does this test gauges? On the bench, or in car with voltage?

In the car with voltage.

Ray (Halifaxhops) may be able to make one with a 9v battery that can power them itself...

I found a good thread from slant six forum about this subject, and they also have a link from Del's 2012 thread about this. Some good info and links in there FYI:

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46405&sid=4810022de7520b44e11a71aaa71e42a8

A guy posts:

8-10 ohms "full" ,75 ohms empty

Here's the link to Del's older post from 3-3-2012:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1751758#post1751758

Another one:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...range-for-mopar-fuel-gauge-sending-units.html

Info from the last post:

Just checked the Miller C-3826 gauge checking tool and it's ------
L = 73.7 Ohms
M = 23.0 Ohms
H = 10.2 Ohms

M would be 1/2 a tank of gas.

So the general opinion is 10 ohms for the low side...

How do we confirm for sure what the resistor values are? We want to be as correct/accurate as possible...

So I guess you apologized to the guy you said stole it way back in post 06/14/13 post #18 on the other thread?

So I guess you apologized to the guy you said stole it way back in post 06/14/13 post #18 on the other thread?

Apologize? Really?

The guy who broke in stole my whole large tool box full of tools (over $10 k in tools with the large tool box as tall as me with some obsolete unreplaceable ones) , my central air conditioner from the outside of the house, the heat exchanger out of a two year old two stage furnace, $13,000 in new copper pipes, four LD4B intakes and two LD340's, and lots of other stuff...

I used to have three of the gauge testers, I only found this one. I'm lucky that he missed it...

Why do I owe him an apology????

It's obvious......because he missed one and you should have made sure he had the complete collection! :banghead:

Now, back to this thread.....very cool. I have never seen one of those. I like a lot! And I learned something about resistors too. Cool stuff.

It's obvious......because he missed one and you should have made sure he had the complete collection! :banghead:

My bad... #-o

Maybe the thief can give me his address, so I can get this one to him... :flower:

Now, back to this thread.....very cool. I have never seen one of those. I like a lot! And I learned something about resistors too. Cool stuff.

And a nice story about a girl named Violet... :D

That meter is pretty simple, and you guys may be able to recreate it using momentary push buttons instead of a rotary dial.
Sure would simplify recreating it.

The blue resistor bands look like brown, black , black , gold, so it is 10 Ohms + - 5%. First picture best to see.

Boy I'm STILL not seein' "that"

EDIT. Crap you're right Dave. I was looking crosseyed at your colors you typed

^^A good clear shot of the instruction pages would be a real help^^ That thing seems to be the same as Borroughs

Ok, retried with the digital gauge, and nada...

So I put my old trusty analog gauge on there, held both probes together and zeroed the needle out, then put them across each resistor, and this is what I got:

Does this make any sense to you???

That makes a lot of sense to me. The last one looks like blue on my screen ( not violet) which would make it a 65 and the others looked like 10 and 22 at first glance to me.

I learned the color code with the 'Bad Boys...' saying in electroncs class (1980) and it does stick with you. They did have some other memory thing in the book (which I don't remember-lol). But the shop teacher related it the same way Del did.

Del, don't fret, I can only read a few colors on blue resistors, but can read them all on brown ones. I have a really hard time with the precision 5 band ones, so a Ohm meter is my choice. I think blue is a bad background color. It is the color used on metal film resistors these days.

-
Back