Hey Princess!! About that steam powered Case............

-
Utterly fascinating.

Utterly fascinating.
Up until I was maybe 34, there was a jackshaft driven, "had been" steam driven shop in my home town. Old retired guy there for many years, in fact the family is related to a friend of mine. When I had the old landcruiser, I used Chev wide rims (6 bolt). I had to have the center holes turned out to clear the big front hubs, and while I was at it (baby moons!!!!) had two of the caps bored so they would go around the hubs

Big jackshaft the full length of the shop, "then" driven by a large electric motor, just like in the video, big shafts and flat belts everywhere

LOL--"Gets back from the internet"

Turns out the guy I knew who ran that shop was not as old as I thought, and he was not the guy who started it. guy I knew was Lester Charland, who was only 71 when he died in 1980 So he had taken the shop over from his dad........George............

George Charland, 85, of 923 Pine Street, passed away early Sunday morning, at Sommerset, Wisconsin and he married Anna Rieken in October 1907 at Sommerset, Wisconsin.

He was a jeweler and watchmaker in the Sommerset area and also built some of the first movie projectors of that time and had a "movie circuit", in the Sommerset area where he showed the early day movies. He moved to Sandpoint from St. Paul, Minn., in 1913. He established and operated the Charland Machine works here in Sandpoint, he also invented several machines used in the lumber industry and also invented pole perforators used in the treatment of and preservation of these items. His wife passed away in 1964 and he retired in 1967.

Last edited:
-
Back