HF 21 gal. air compressor?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I admit I have been my own bodyman for several decades now, but I moved to Tx 2 1/2 year ago, thus no place to really work or have a real air compressor. For several reasons I do not want to buy another "real" and adequate compressor right now.
I know their 21 gal I think it is a 2 1/2 horse oil lube job will not handle a DA but all I really need is something I can spray primer and acrylic urethane top coat. I think their info states 4.9 cfm at 90 but nothing stated at 40. Can I get it done with this compressor. The primer is my main objective. I have a friend that just bought a body shop with a booth I can use once his lawsuit over the deal is cleared up!
Yes I know what I really need!!!!

I painted a roof with my wife's 2.5 CFM DeVilbiss portable compressor.

I think so, yes. Does it have a cast iron compressor? Please do yourself a favor and don't buy one with an aluminum compressor. Even if it's just a small one. You'll be wasting your money. But as far as size, I think it will handle spraying fine. It'll run a DA too, you'll just have to take breaks to let it catch up. Also, what "I" would do is look on your local CL and maybe find a compressor with a bad motor or pump or just a tank. You can plumb another tank in with the HF compressor and probably do really well. On the cheap too. I've done it before.

I think so, yes. Does it have a cast iron compressor? Please do yourself a favor and don't buy one with an aluminum compressor. Even if it's just a small one. You'll be wasting your money. But as far as size, I think it will handle spraying fine. It'll run a DA too, you'll just have to take breaks to let it catch up. Also, what "I" would do is look on your local CL and maybe find a compressor with a bad motor or pump or just a tank. You can plumb another tank in with the HF compressor and probably do really well. On the cheap too. I've done it before.
Back in Mo. my last compressor was a 80 gal twin used one, that was pretty wore out. But had a shop that did nothing but rebuild compressors. I had $200 rebuilt total, but it was still somewhat weak to me. I am an ahout out of Houston and I pretty much refuse to go there!
Back in the 70's my dad restored a 2 orse inline trailer, he did it with a 5 gal Sears compressor and a siphon gun. Top coat was F8 green metallic, he was a perfectionist it was perfect, but I hate to ay how long it took him, I did notice he had his red oxide primer pretty heavy.
I will check it out but I think that HF unit has a cast compressor.

Back in Mo. my last compressor was a 80 gal twin used one, that was pretty wore out. But had a shop that did nothing but rebuild compressors. I had $200 rebuilt total, but it was still somewhat weak to me. I am an ahout out of Houston and I pretty much refuse to go there!
Back in the 70's my dad restored a 2 orse inline trailer, he did it with a 5 gal Sears compressor and a siphon gun. Top coat was F8 green metallic, he was a perfectionist it was perfect, but I hate to ay how long it took him, I did notice he had his red oxide primer pretty heavy.
I will check it out but I think that HF unit has a cast compressor.

I believe it has ain iron compressor too. If it does, and you can find an extra tank to hook up to it, that'll solve the volume issue. I am probably fixin to do something similar. I have a 30 gallon Kobalt compressor from lowes. My big compressor out back has a 120 gallon horizontal tank on it. I am thinking about plumbing the two together. It'll take a bit to pump up, but once there, it's there. lol

I have this one. I have had it for about 2 years and it has worked really good for me. No complaints at all. I would recommend getting a good regulator on the tool end of the hose. I have ran my sandblaster, paint gun, impact, ratchet, nail gun, tire tool, etc the sandblaster is slow it kicks on often and you have to wait after blasting for a few minutes straight. It runs my da but same as that blaster you have alot of downtime. I like the oiled motor. I feel like it will last a while.

61454_W3.jpg

61454_W6.jpg

61454_W7.jpg

I have this one. I have had it for about 2 years and it has worked really good for me. No complaints at all. I would recommend getting a good regulator on the tool end of the hose. I have ran my sandblaster, paint gun, impact, ratchet, nail gun, tire tool, etc the sandblaster is slow it kicks on often and you have to wait after blasting for a few minutes straight. It runs my da but same as that blaster you have alot of downtime. I like the oiled motor. I feel like it will last a while.

View attachment 1715339512

View attachment 1715339513

View attachment 1715339515

I have the same compressor, have had it for about 10 years. no real issues.

like the others have said, needs to play catch up often because of the small storage volume.

Bruce

I admit I have been my own bodyman for several decades now, but I moved to Tx 2 1/2 year ago, thus no place to really work or have a real air compressor. For several reasons I do not want to buy another "real" and adequate compressor right now.
I know their 21 gal I think it is a 2 1/2 horse oil lube job will not handle a DA but all I really need is something I can spray primer and acrylic urethane top coat. I think their info states 4.9 cfm at 90 but nothing stated at 40. Can I get it done with this compressor. The primer is my main objective. I have a friend that just bought a body shop with a booth I can use once his lawsuit over the deal is cleared up!
Yes I know what I really need!!!!
Shooting primer should be okay but shooting a top coat on a complete car unless it's in pieces is going to be quite a challenge. You have to blend in two sides like when you're doing the roof before it starts to dry which is hard to do when your compressor is trying to keep up. I would try and get one with a little more cfm's. You won't regret it. Steve

It appears to have at least a cast iron cylinder. That's a good thing "I guess". lol

I believe it has ain iron compressor too. If it does, and you can find an extra tank to hook up to it, that'll solve the volume issue. I am probably fixin to do something similar. I have a 30 gallon Kobalt compressor from lowes. My big compressor out back has a 120 gallon horizontal tank on it. I am thinking about plumbing the two together. It'll take a bit to pump up, but once there, it's there. lol
If you could find a larger tank to plumb in like Rusty said it would probably help out a lot.

Don't buy a direct drive compressor they are so noisy you need hearing protection. My friend had one for about a year then he couldn't take the noise any more and bought a real one, it was a waist of money, but he has a larger capacity with the two tanks

Get the most CFM you can afford.

CFM trumps gallon capacity big time.

If you have enough CFM, you never "wait" for the tank to fill up.

I have had over the years the 80 gal twin pump 5 hp compresors, and even those lacked to run a DA and straight file like needed. But I have 99% of my body work done, mainly some blocking primers and top coat. I am just trying to get by for now, as we will sell this place in about 1 1/2 years and buy further west and build a half *** shop and add a good compressor there. Don't want to buy it now and have to move it along with everything else!!
I agree the HF compressor will not be what I need but just wondering if anyone has bought one and done any body work one.
My friend bought an existing small town body shop along with a home made spray booth from basically an outlaw. The outlaw had the shop financed by the owner, which foreclosed after the dude did not make a payment for 2 year! Then this sucker hires a lawyer and sues the owner!! It is waiting court date. Such stupid people in this world. It had 2 compressors but one was sold off and what is left is not really adequate either.

Northern Tool has a good selection of compressors. Buy the biggest CFM one you can afford, then buy a bigger one, LOL. Their is no substitute for CFM.
Dave

Me too. No complaints.

I have that same one myself, my wife surprised me with it, damn little thing works great but its just not meant to do what some folks want. Like others have said, get the most cfm you can afford and never look back.

Jeff

Even if the HF unit is the dreaded direct drive, as long as it has a cast iron cylinder, and it looks like it does, it will be ok. You're not looking for the best and that sure ain't it, but HF will warranty the thing if you drag it with a chain behind a truck. If they offer an extended warranty, I'd get it. If there's any way you can isolate it from where you will be working, do it, because as mentioned they are LOUD. It'll get you by until it either breaks or you can afford something better. Who knows? It may not break.

I have had this one and use it pretty much daily for over ten years. Still works fine. Painted a few cars but does lack on other air tools like straight line sanders etc.
61489_W3.jpg

It appears to have at least a cast iron cylinder. That's a good thing "I guess". lol
Yes it cast iron. For the money I have no complaints. I got it on sale for less than 200 $169 I believe. Then a few months later I got my welder for 89.

-
Back