hi all

-

mygasser

Reaction score
hi, i'm new posting here but i've looked in now and again. i've had a few mopars among other makes etc and right now i have a 68 valiant signet 2 door sedan. it has a slant six/auto which will stay for this year while i build the new motor. the car is pretty well specc'ed with a/c p/steering and brakes, 'lighting pack' etc. the car came to the uk last year and after watching it be relisted on evilbay a few times i finally had the cash and bought it.
my plans are to fit a 383 with twin turbos and a 5 speed manual. i have the engine, trans, turbos and headers, so it'll all be built up ready to swap in over next winter. oh, i nearly forgot the 383 is a chevy. why? because i have it and it was cheap. i don't intend to sell the car so resale value isn't a concern and it's mine so....
anyway as i said hi all. neil.

IMG_0001 (3).JPG

IMG_0003 (2).JPG

IMG_0004 (2).JPG

IMG_0005 (2).JPG

Hello Neil.

Glad you finally jumped into the fray! Sounds like you have some fun projects ahead of you.

I spent 3 years in England stationed at RAF Greenham Common in Newbury, Berkshire. Loved every second of my time over there!

Welcome!

That engine looks like it’s tip top condition relative to the exterior and interior.

You Europeans sure like to do some serious fabrication! And I like it.... Welcome!

thanks for the welcome guys, i was a little worried i may upset you all with my engine choice. i didn't say but just so as to keep fans of all makes happy i'll be fitting a narrowed 9" ford axle i have too, i don't want to cut the body as it's so good but i have 10x15 slot mags for the rear so...
cheers, neil.

just a little update, i've bought 2 front wings and 2 doors. all very straight rust free panels (moulds were taken from them with no bodywork required) so that'll save a ton of time straightening/repairing mine. as i'm going to paint it gloss black every little helps.

still collecting parts, yesterday i agreed to buy a 950 double pumper from a mate, he's using it until the summer's over (not long in the uk) then fitting a pair of new edelbrock e-force 'blower' carbs to his 6/71 blown 400 sbc.
now i know a 750 d/p would be preferable for my 383 sbc but beggars can't be choosers and at £250 sterling it's very cheap (he's done about 300 miles since it was new and maybe another 1000 by summers end). it'll need converting for blow thru but that seems simple enough, so after a rolling road session to get it jetted right it'll do for me. neil.

carb update, while looking for something in my shed i found an 850 double pumper i forgot i had. it's already had the choke horn machined off so one less job to do. i'll carry out the rest of the 'blow thru' mods in between jobs this summer. i'll probably still buy the 950 and stash it as it's cheap, then i can forget i have that one too, lol. also it looks like most of the interior will be replaced. i've found a set of black leather ford scorpio seats very cheap. i've used them before a few times and they are supremely comfortable.
neil.

i bought a th400 trans today to go behind the turbo motor. another step closer.
oh and i picked up the steel rings i had made to centralise the pcd adapters so i can temporarily fit some nicer wheels while it's still stock.
neil.

Welcome aboard from Northeast Arkansas , jump on in and enjoy :thumbsup:

thanks mike,
i had a little time today so i offered up one of the pcd adapters on the back with one of the 7 1/2 x 15 weld rodlites to check clearance. it looks like i won't get much more than a 225 or 235 tyre under the arch. unless i get my arch rolling tool out and 'make' more room that is. i'll get a secondhand tyre fitted so i can have a better look.
oh, and 2 of the cackhanded nuts stripped their threads when putting the wheel back on so i banged a stud out to match them up with r/h thread studs at work on monday.
neil.

Last edited:
i took an adapter, a wheel and a cak handed stud to work today. got 10 r/h thread studs and nuts, we didn't have the right size sleeve/lug nut for the wheels so they'll be ordered and i got a bald 205/60/15 tyre fitted (for free) so i can verify arch clearance before buying a new pair of whatever size. on the down side i cut a big flap of skin off the end of my left index finger at work with a stanley knife first thing this morning. the local a&e have stuck it down with 2 packs of steri strips but it's going to be a right pain for probably 2 weeks ish which is annoying and it throbs like a mutha

i don't want to skimp on either the fuel or ignition systems so today i bought an earomotive A1000 carburetted bypass fuel pressure regulator, part number 13204. i got it now as at £100 new and still in it's packaging it is a bargain. i will of course be using an a1000 pump to match, we'll see if i can snag a bargain on one of those too. the parts pile is getting larger and just like the regulator does with boost my smile gets bigger on a 1:1 ratio with each increase. neil.

today i offered up a back wheel to see how much tyre i can fit under the arches. the 205 60 15 is tight on the arch, it'll clear with a slight dressing up of the lip. i do have a good pair of 195 65 15 goodyear's so i'll get them fitted tomorrow along with the pair of 165 15's for the front. the pcd adapters have an m12 x 1.25 fine thread and we don't keep lugnuts that thread in the 11/16" shank size the weld wheels are. we do keep them with a 3/4" shank so i've ordered a 3/4" drill bit off of ebay and i'll open the holes in the wheels to suit. i tried an 11/16" shank nut of a different thread and it's quite a sloppy fit in the holes anyway, i'm happier having a better fitting shank so it's all good.

IMG_0010 (1).JPG

IMG_0007 (1).JPG

i had the tyres swapped around today and got the lugnuts from work. oh, and the 3/4" drill bit arrived too. tomorrow i'll drill the shiny wheels and get them bolted up with the pcd adapters. i could have left the stock wheels on for the summer but 'a' they needed tyres which meant spending money i could put towards a fuel pump and 'b' wheels transform the look of a car and i had them and the tyres so.....
anyway look, shiny
icon_mrgreen.gif
. mmmmmmmm.....
oh, and i've got shiny pointy bullet centre caps too, but you'll have to wait to see them 'cos it's raining between here and my garage and i've only got my slippers on
icon_rolleyes.gif

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

this evening i drilled the wheels for the larger shank lugnuts and fitted the. well, 2 anyway. the studs from work which were the closest we have are too big for the holes in the axle flange. so i'll be getting new l/h thread nuts then, doh!. still the o/s looks cool
icon_tup.gif

IMG_0001 (2).JPG

IMG_0002 (2).JPG

IMG_0003 (2).JPG

this evening i drilled the wheels for the larger shank lugnuts and fitted the. well, 2 anyway. the studs from work which were the closest we have are too big for the holes in the axle flange. so i'll be getting new l/h thread nuts then, doh!. still the o/s looks cool View attachment 1715171155.

View attachment 1715171152

View attachment 1715171153

View attachment 1715171154
Gonna be hard for me to see you get rid of the slant 6. but I forgive you. just keep it in the garage for old times.
Welcome glad your here.

thanks fred, i may use the engine/box/axle in a 't' bucket or suchlike in the future.
anyway i've been out the garage for an hour to check the lights, can't finish the wheels 'til the l/h wheelnuts are sorted. anyway the n/s rear side marker had a dirty earth, sorted and the o/s front indicators didn't work. the lens is a long thin thing between the bottom of the grill and the bumper, set right back where it's a ****** to get to. i fiddled it off without dropping it and wiggled the bulb out with my finger tips. all good so put that back, er no not with my fat sausage fingers. so now the whole light unit is off and i'm checking wiring. no feed from the loom to the light wiring plug. so next stop the bulkhead plug, nothing there either. so under the dash on my back, not so bad as no carpet and the floors clean so i can slide in and out pretty easy. last stop the column plug and we have life. so to check the light itself i looped a wire out of the door from the column to the light and it works as does the repeater on the wingtop. so my next job will be unplug all the bulkhead connectors and give them a bloody good clean and lube. unfortunately as of tomorrow evening i'm off to the kitcar show with work 'til monday night, doh!

thanks fred, i may use the engine/box/axle in a 't' bucket or suchlike in the future.
anyway i've been out the garage for an hour to check the lights, can't finish the wheels 'til the l/h wheelnuts are sorted. anyway the n/s rear side marker had a dirty earth, sorted and the o/s front indicators didn't work. the lens is a long thin thing between the bottom of the grill and the bumper, set right back where it's a ****** to get to. i fiddled it off without dropping it and wiggled the bulb out with my finger tips. all good so put that back, er no not with my fat sausage fingers. so now the whole light unit is off and i'm checking wiring. no feed from the loom to the light wiring plug. so next stop the bulkhead plug, nothing there either. so under the dash on my back, not so bad as no carpet and the floors clean so i can slide in and out pretty easy. last stop the column plug and we have life. so to check the light itself i looped a wire out of the door from the column to the light and it works as does the repeater on the wingtop. so my next job will be unplug all the bulkhead connectors and give them a bloody good clean and lube. unfortunately as of tomorrow evening i'm off to the kitcar show with work 'til monday night, doh!
I hate wiring so hard to find a problem and the new cars are even worse.
What's a kitcar show?

where all the people who sell/buy/own kitcars go. a kitcar is a car made from parts from a doner car usually with a new chassis and fibreglass body. the body is often a replica of a classic car, like a cobra, austin healey, lotus seven etc. neil.

where all the people who sell/buy/own kitcars go. a kitcar is a car made from parts from a doner car usually with a new chassis and fibreglass body. the body is often a replica of a classic car, like a cobra, austin healey, lotus seven etc. neil.
Ok got the Idea. Sounds like fun.
My dad had a fiberglass shop back in my teens around 1973 and we made dune buggy's out of VW bugs. My job was to take the body off the bug and cut the floor pan to make it shorter and then assemble the new fiber glass body on.
That was lots of fun, I would put a 5 gallon bucket for a seat and drive the VW floor pan and running gear in the field next to the shop, yea and fell off the bucket a few times. My dad let me do a lot of good stuff and I miss him lots.

-
Back