High oil pressure

-

Valiant273

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have not posted in awhile but here I am with a question. I have a 1965 Valiant with a 273. The last while, not sure exactly how long but my mechanical oil pressure gauge is reading as high as 80 Psi when accelerating and 60 at idle. Seems high to me as it used to be about 40 at idle and maybe 60ish on acceleration. Maybe a silly question as I have not tried anything yet but could it just be the sender or the gauge screwed up? And also is the sender matched to the specific gauge and I'd buy a package with both?

Thanks in advance

Valiant-Shiny!.JPG

Nice car! My commando has 65 at cold startup and 40 at hot idle. I set my clearance a little on the tight side. I don’t see any issue with yours.

Jake
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have not posted in awhile but here I am with a question. I have a 1965 Valiant with a 273. The last while, not sure exactly how long but my mechanical oil pressure gauge is reading as high as 80 Psi when accelerating and 60 at idle. Seems high to me as it used to be about 40 at idle and maybe 60ish on acceleration. Maybe a silly question as I have not tried anything yet but could it just be the sender or the gauge screwed up? And also is the sender matched to the specific gauge and I'd buy a package with both?

Thanks in advance

View attachment 1715239427

Nice car! My commando has 65 at cold startup and 40 at hot idle. I set my clearance a little on the tight side. I don’t see any issue with yours.

Jake

Thanks. Little concerned about the 80 though as I've never seen it that high. And random searches on the interwebs about that high pressure it's like " OMG its gonna blow something!!!!

With it changing and going higher I’d throw another gauge on it to reference to. If you have the same results it could be maybe some debris has hung up the relief valve for the oil pump.

Your oil pressure will go up when it's colder outside... especially if you are using a higher viscosity oil. Might simply be temperature related.

My old 318 had that same oil pressure with 10-40 in it and never blew anything.
Changing is a bit of a concern, but I'd guess like said already that it could be colder temps or a gauge not reading right.
Senders are usually matched to the gauge if it's an aftermarket electric.

I would look first att the gauge and then the oilpumps preasure reliefvalve.
Have had the fine pleasure of gettin foreign objects in the relief valve thanks to some asshole who obviously wanted to destroy things there is no other way that the stuff i found in the pan and elsewhere could have got there. However it raised the oilpreasure far enough to blow a filter apart on a cold engine.

You're worried about high oil pressure and here I am worrying about my low oil pressure on a fresh 408 stroker. Lol. Well I guess mine isn't exactly low, it's borderline in my opinion.

I'm having precision oil pumps put together a ported, shimmed, high volume pump to see if that'll raise it some. :dunno:

The amounts are ok, but I'd worry about any change in oil pressure. It means something changed... Might just be the gage, or something in the relief valve. But it would bug me.

-
Back