High speed rated radials

-

Texas Red

Old Flunky
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
On my Project 1972 Duster I have Micky Tompson 29X 18 X 20 SR Radials which are H speed Rated tires on the rear. I had also purchased a set of matching front runners in the same flame pattern design but had problems with them becoming out of round, one even calling for 7.5 ozs weight after some 400 miles. (Yes my car started out running Fattys and skinny's) I have discount tire do all my work as they have the lastest and greatest machines when it comes to the tire business. Micky Tompson states they are going to warranty them for me. Not happy with the front tires I have been on the hunt for something else to replace them with. I called Coker tire to find out they carry Avon tires (Made in England) and Avon's 235 X70R-15 were made for Rolls Royce (blackwall or whitewall) and are rated with a "V" speed rating which equals 149 MPH. Yes Coker tire wants $350.00 a tire for these each but what is your life worth? I had placed an order with Coker tire for a tire & Wheel package to only have the incorrect wheels show up at my shop with something I did not order as the guy taking the order did not know what GM rally wheels were for a 1968 Corvette in a 15 X 6 .... as I have a control Freaks front Mustang 2 front end under my Duster. This mistake goofed the whole order up costing me precious drive time in my Hot Rod.....LOL Not happy on my RMA I have already lost $180.00 on this deal according to the paperwork I have received to ship them back to them in Memphis Tenn. (That is not over with yet)
Cheap things are NOT good and good things are not cheap!!!!!!!! Enough said on this. I found some N.O.S. Avon tires with Lucas tire in Long Beach CA. but would be afraid of them being too old to feel comfortable with being built 5 to 6 years ago. OR LONGER! For reference Michelin states to replace any rubber that is over 6 years old...... I cannot find anyone in our beloved homeland who has any Avon tires in stock except Coker tire. Any ideas????? Throw them at me please. Texas Red

If you're dealing with Performance Plus Tires in long Beach CA, (big time Lucas and Coker dealer) they really know what they are doing. I have bought a couple sets of wheels, including a custom order set, and several sets of tires there. I bet if you call them and ask, they will check the dates. They deal with timed out tires on collector cars all the time.
I'm gonna get the twelve 17" wide whites for my Imperials from them.

Try some police tires. Eagle RSA 732807500 235/70R15 102V rating. Oasistires.com or call your local Goodyear retailer.

Last edited:
I run Nitto Drag radials on the rear of both my Mopars. They are currently rated as a V (149mph) tire. They used to have a higher rating.

On the front, I use V rated tires as well. Those are 225/60-15's there are quite a few V-rated 15 inch tires available out there besides the Avon tires, which are know to have issues with flat spotting when parked.

I've only exceeded those speed ratings a handful of times with no issues aside from putting my buddy's wife in shock once.

View attachment 1715954486

Spring Fling (Medium).PNG

Cuda38.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you guys for sharing that Info I will put it to good use...... NICE CARS! Finding out that Michelin makes a W rated 215/70VR-15 which is not available through Michelin but through other Digging up what I can Coker tire has ties in anything having to do with older made tires... Smart business moves have positioned his company in the right place at the right time.
Perilli N12 was another top rated "W " available in the same size 215/70VR-15 through Coker tire of course. I can only guess they use the same methods but on an upgraded scale ...updated build engineering expected. Thanks for the input. Texas Red

-
Back