Hillbilly Timing Tape Video Tutorial

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I made this video this morning and uploaded it to my youtube channel. I wanted @Mako21 to have a better understanding of how to mark the balancer regarding timing. This is how I did it. You can mark more than one mark at the time if you want, but I did it this way so maybe you could see more of what's going on. I wanna give @crackedback a VERY big thank you for this info, as I give him 100% credit. Although I'm sure it's been done before, his mod was the first I heard called "Hillbilly Timing Tape". Now, I just slobbed on the marks, but feel free to do yours much neater. LOL

I’ve watched this video a few times and it’s starting to make sense.

Is it correct to say on the scale:
BTC= advancing the timing
And
ATC= retarding the timing

for some reason if the above is correct (and I think it is) I was correlating it backwards.

Also, Rob was nice enough to give me the part number for a snap on distributor wrench which is Snap On S9467B. There’s some older ones available on eBay

I’ve watched this video a few times and it’s starting to make sense.

Is it correct to say on the scale:
BTC= advancing the timing
And
ATC= retarding the timing

for some reason if the above is correct (and I think it is) I was correlating it backwards.

Also, Rob was nice enough to give me the part number for a snap on distributor wrench which is Snap On S9467B. There’s some older ones available on eBay

Yes that's correct, but the marks are put on ATDC side of the pointer, since the engine advances backwards from its normal direction of rotation in the strobe of the timing light. I would have put the light on it, but I was too lazy to dig it back out. Marking the balancer allows you to use the engine as your advance timing light. Simply rev the engine up with the light on it and you can see how much it advances since you have it marked. I trust you'll do yours much neater than mine, but even mine gives a good idea of where you are. lol

Geez. I’m not sure why my brain was making this so difficult to understand. I get it now. Thanks for taking the time.

Oh man, you made it clear enough so even this old Hillbilly can understand, thank you for taking the time to do this Rusty :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Now i got a 225 slant, im assuming the one line in the center is zero but how do i make 5degree marks on it, is there a measurement in inches from the mark i can make?

16112021690916833442644169686076.jpg

Now i got a 225 slant, im assuming the one line in the center is zero but how do i make 5degree marks on it, is there a measurement in inches from the mark i can make?

View attachment 1715674383

You can verify that is the 0 mark by verifying top dead center. If that center mark is longer or larger than the others, it should be the 0 mark. Did you look VERY closely for a "0" stamped on the timing tab? Sometimes they are not stamped very well.

As to how to determine 5 degree marks, I cannot explain any better than in the video. If yours is not marked in 5 degree graduations, It's probably marked in 10 degree. So just cut that amount in half.

You can verify that is the 0 mark by verifying top dead center. If that center mark is longer or larger than the others, it should be the 0 mark. Did you look VERY closely for a "0" stamped on the timing tab? Sometimes they are not stamped very well.

As to how to determine 5 degree marks, I cannot explain any better than in the video. If yours is not marked in 5 degree graduations, It's probably marked in 10 degree. So just cut that amount in half.
No stamps just a line on the tab, ill just mark 0 on the damper at that line when i find TDC i was just hoping i could figure how to measure extra degrees off that one mark

No stamps just a line on the tab, ill just mark 0 on the damper at that line when i find TDC i was just hoping i could figure how to measure extra degrees off that one mark

If you have a dial back timing light that's accurate, you can use that to do it.

balancer circumference divided by 360 is 1 deg.

for an 8" balancer, (8xpi)/360=0.067
5x0.067=.3595 or .350

so, just a hair under 3/8" would be 5deg

I used 8" because I don't know the /6 balanver diameter. You can simply measure it with a tape and divide by 360 to skip the first step

I'm sure your video took millions out of someone's pocket what with the tens of thousands of views... smmfh....

sorta what I was thinkin. Oh well. lol

Wow, I tried the video a couple times hoping it would work. For me you can "explain" it to me in depth in a 6 page essay and I wont understand it. A 2 minute video and it helps get it thru my thick skull.
My apologies. I had to remove them all from a copyright threat.

Wow, I tried the video a couple times hoping it would work. For me you can "explain" it to me in depth in a 6 page essay and I wont understand it. A 2 minute video and it helps get it thru my thick skull.

Yessir, agreed.. I do way better with visuals and then breaking **** a few times. Eventually I get it though... lol.

I'm still not gonna stop makin helpful videos. If yall want something I'll gladly email it, just keep it off the internet.

-
Back