Holley Base Plate Material??

-

gzig5

Reaction score
I tore down my List 4711 (Holley 4165) for a rebuild and found that there is a crack in the base plate at one of the mounting bosses. Its clean and hasn't gone through but it's obvious the base won't seal correctly unless it is fixed. Does anyone know if these base plates are cast aluminum or zinc? If aluminum I can TIG it, if zinc I'm going to have to go about it differently. I'd like to take a swing at fixing this carb because it is a period correct replacement for the TQ and was on the car when I bought it, but too gunked up to run.

I had one tigged up with aluminum, it worked fine.

I'm going to have to get the Dialarc HF fired up this weekend then and practice a little before I take on the real repair. That corner is broken ~2/3 through and bent down a little. I'm going to have to fly-cut the base in the mill after the repair to flatten it. I think it should stand up to having a couple thousandths removed from each face to even them up?

I'm going to have to get the Dialarc HF fired up this weekend then and practice a little before I take on the real repair. That corner is broken ~2/3 through and bent down a little. I'm going to have to fly-cut the base in the mill after the repair to flatten it. I think it should stand up to having a couple thousandths removed from each face to even them up?
After I got it back,I used my big blat fastard,lol, and a sharpie

-
Back