Holley Carb throttle return spring

-

ant72

Reaction score
I notice many cars have a throttle return spring attached to a bracket on the front of the engine. I recently purchase a 1972 dodge dart with a 318 out of a 1987 gran fury and the previous owner doubled up on the springs and used the lower hole on the carb. Is this correct or should a buy a bracket. I attached a picture for reference.

Attachments

• WP_20140927_001.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 540
Double spring is required to get thru tech insp at the track.

Attachments

• 000_0036 (640x480).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 362
The spring in the OPs pick is the kick down return spring.
Mine is mounted in that same location an dose kinda act as a throttle return, but I would npt run with out a.true return spring mounted on the front of the carb.

Once that carb is at full vaccum that dinky spring may not snap shut and returning the carb to zero throttle, annd that is NOT that springs job anyway....

Good luck.

The spring in the OPs pick is the kick down return spring. Mine is mounted in that same location an dose kinda act as a throttle return, but I would npt run with out a.true return spring mounted on the front of the carb. Once that carb is at full vaccum that dinky spring may not snap shut and returning the carb to zero throttle, annd that is NOT that springs job anyway.... Good luck.

Take a closer look, because if that spring is connected to a solid bracket part and not part of the kickdown linkage that moves it's a throttle return.
Kind of went about it a little different than some, but the same results. :)

The KD rod is in the right position at closed throttle, so it probably has a spring for that in a different spot also.

I get what your saying Trailbeast. My kickdown return is the same and DOSE act as a throttle return spring, But I still run a true throttle return spring off the throttle arm.

;)

Yes I know the kickdown is out of adjustment and upside down...I was still working on the brackets in this pick.
38127D1F-8D11-46A3-9A64-253077E7235D-2746-000007360B4136B7_zps2137df9a.jpg

Mayhap his is not hooked up the same, it just looks so close to mine I figured Id jump in.

I get what your saying Trailbeast. My kickdown return is the same and DOSE act as a throttle return spring, But I still run a true throttle return spring off the throttle arm. ;) Yes I know the kickdown is out of adjustment and upside down...I was still working on the brackets in this pick.

I remember that pic from awhile back.
The main thing is that the throttle is returned, and the TP rod is held all the way forward.
The details can be worked from there.

But I know you know that already. :D

Mine would mess with your head a little.
I have a small spring holding the TP back about 1/4 inch at idle to raise the low/mid throttle shift points without affecting the WOT carb linkage travel and it works fantastic.
It raises the shift points about 10 mph.
Under normal driving it shifts from 1st to second at about 25, and from 2nd to 3rd at about 45 mph and can be changed or removed in about 30 seconds.
The pics are of it on my two barrel before I got any of the upgraded intake and carburetion, but I still used it on the new stuff and it still works just as well of course.

I put together a quick explanation here if anyone is interested.
http://www.letsgocomputers.com/shifts.htm

Trailbeast, Would you post a pick of your set up?
Hi, Do you mean besides the website pics on the link above and as it is on the 4 barrel now? My setup is basically stock as far as the linkage parts, except I made my adapter for the Eddie carb and added the spring to the end of the TP rod like in the pics on that web page.

This reminds me to go pick up a new set of return springs today...
Sunday I put the hammer down and when I let off, she kept haulin' ***! Only had a single spring on it (how it came) and it snapped.

Not good! Had to kill the ignition under heavy throttle and I don't thing that's a nice thing to do.

This reminds me to go pick up a new set of return springs today...Sunday I put the hammer down and when I let off, she kept haulin' ***! Only had a single spring on it (how it came) and it snapped.Not good! Had to kill the ignition under heavy throttle and I don't thing that's a nice thing to do.

You need a car buddy when you cruise!!! hahahaha

-
Back