Holley Street Avenger Carbs

-

ConValiant64

Reaction score
Hey,

Has anyone installed a Holley Street Avenger carburetor on their car recently? Not sure what makes it a performance carb. I have some Amazon gift cards to cash in, and they have a decent selection of Holley products. Carb comes in 670 cfm, which seems to be appropriate to my application.

Thanks.

I have a 570 Street Avenger on my Mustang right now. I bought it remanufactured from Holley's eBay store a year and a half ago, and it was very lean out of the box. That car can't tolerate leanish mixtures anyway, but if I were going to spend that kind of money for a new one, I think I'd go with a standard Holley or even a Quick Fuel-based carb, like their new Brawler.

Remember that a 670 has the same venturi and bore sizes as a regular 600 Holley. The Street Avenger does have dual fuel feeds and a secondary metering block, so that may be an upgrade. And if you believe the internet, it's a crap shoot...some are fine, some seem really lean.

Good luck!

Not sure what makes it a performance carb.
Its an aftermarket 4 bbl carb; beyond that its all vague marketing, letting the buyer read into it as they imagine.
The 'street' portion is easier. It comes with a choke tower and electric choke.
Depending on what you are trying to do. Do you a 4 bbl and don't have because you are swapping from a 2 bbl to 4 bbl intake? or are you trying to buy some power on an existing setup?

I have a 570 Street Avenger on my Mustang right now. I bought it remanufactured from Holley's eBay store a year and a half ago, and it was very lean out of the box. That car can't tolerate leanish mixtures anyway, but if I were going to spend that kind of money for a new one, I think I'd go with a standard Holley or even a Quick Fuel-based carb, like their new Brawler.

Remember that a 670 has the same venturi and bore sizes as a regular 600 Holley. The Street Avenger does have dual fuel feeds and a secondary metering block, so that may be an upgrade. And if you believe the internet, it's a crap shoot...some are fine, some seem really lean.

Good luck!
The fact that it comes with the quick swap vac secondary and the secondary metering block (instead of a plate) would be other reasons they may be calling it a "performance carb" At the drag strip, those make it easier to tune over a standard vac secondary like a List 1850 or 3310 etc

Thanks, all. I have a rebuilt 650 double pumper on there now, and I think the mechanical secondaries make it bog a bit. Just want something reliable, but ample enough in cfm that I can carry it over if I decide to boost h.p. in the future.

Rarely will out of the box be perfect for your setup. Unless your doing a heavy load pulling, either the double pumper or the vac secondary can be made to work. I'd invest in tuning what you already have.
The mechanical secondaries don't come into play until the primaries are approximately half open. If your still not sure if that's problem, disconnect the secoondaries. Then you'll know if that's what needs tuning or something else.

It might help to know what your setup is...vehicle weight, gearing, cubic inches, cam, transmission and converter.

Thanks, all. I have a rebuilt 650 double pumper on there now, and I think the mechanical secondaries make it bog a bit. Just want something reliable, but ample enough in cfm that I can carry it over if I decide to boost h.p. in the future.
I agree with post 7, however, tune your 650 DP and get the bog out. It's in the tune. I've had 750 DP's on very mild 318's with stock converter and no bog. Again, it's your tune.

Don't buy into the marketing hype. How can Holley 'rate' the 670 street avenger at 670cfm if it has the same throttle bore and venturii sizes as an 1850 600. Like others said, stick with the 650 and tune it.

Also, as said, the street avengers are VERY lean out of the box. If your engine has any kind of power, be prepared to enlarge the idle feed restrictors.

What's the engine combo anyway? That may be important to know. LOL

Don't buy into the marketing hype. How can Holley 'rate' the 670 street avenger at 670cfm if it has the same throttle bore and venturii sizes as an 1850 600. Like others said, stick with the 650 and tune it.

Also, as said, the street avengers are VERY lean out of the box. If your engine has any kind of power, be prepared to enlarge the idle feed restrictors.

What's the engine combo anyway? That may be important to know. LOL
318 with a mild cam, Performer intake, exhaust manifolds with dual exhaust, highway gears, and a 4-speed. Nothing that warrants a lot of fuel delivery, but wanted to plan ahead in the event I decided to boost horsepower in the future.

318 with a mild cam, Performer intake, exhaust manifolds with dual exhaust, highway gears, and a 4-speed. Nothing that warrants a lot of fuel delivery, but wanted to plan ahead in the event I decided to boost horsepower in the future.
As far future, cross that bridge when you get to it. A 'larger' carb's slight advantage is potentially higher pressure in the intake during the top end of a WOT run. It would then produce more power IF the fuel distribution is good.

My advice remains the same, solve problem with what you have.
If you really want to try a different type of carb, by something used for around 100 - 200.

As far future, cross that bridge when you get to it. A 'larger' carb's slight advantage is potentially higher pressure in the intake during the top end of a WOT run. It would then produce more power IF the fuel distribution is good.

My advice remains the same, solve problem with what you have.
If you really want to try a different type of carb, by something used for around 100 - 200.
Good advice. Thanks.

-
Back