Holy Dodge Hot Wings!!!

-
Seems to me MOPAR has always been a step ahead of the others in technology for the time. Unfortunately for some reason it didn't sell cars.

There were a lot of dream cars, idea cars, show cars back in the 50s and into the early 60s. From all the manufacturers. Some were pretty outlandish and something that was not a realistic idea to even consider building. Sometimes some of the styling or special features would make it into production on next year's models.

I believe that the original Batmobile was built from some Lincoln show car from the 50s.

By the mid-sixties they weren't so far out like this one and became much closer to something that could make it into production.

50 Turbine cars, not far out? Limited production and 3 month free loaner to select customers. What other manufacturer would do that?

I was talking about the appearance of the car at the beginning of this post. I think the turbine cars look kind of like a 61-63 T-bird and I think the T-bird's designer had a hand in the turbine car design. I like the turbine car styling, bold but not outlandish.

As far as loaning the turbine cars out to the public, what better way to learn how well something works than rack up some real world miles, you'll discover things that all the test track miles will not show you, like how feasible is something in all the variations of daily life versus endless repetition of a narrowly defined test track procedure.

Other manufacturers have done something like that. GM built a bunch of electric cars about 25 years back and put them in the hands of the public. I worked for an auto parts manufacturer from 73 to 08. At times over the years we put parts on peoples cars that were new ideas we were trying to develop so we could get real world usage on them to see how well it worked, whether or not it was an idea worth developing further.

I just can't imagine how I've never heard of this thing. I've seen all kinds of "Show Car/Concept Car" articles and follow-ups on various forms of media, I don't recall this
ever coming up once, and in the "Golden Age" at that!

Awesome,...other than the annoying Euro-Techno music, any clue as to the Poster's connection/resources? I'll have to go search YT as Your link blocks the std display &
comment view/format, curious to go back thru some of My old books to see if I just "missed" it somehow...............

-
Back