Home built cherry picker/engine stand

-

duster360

Reaction score
Thought I would share my home built combo. Had this for probably 30 years. Pulled and built lots of engines. Inline 6 to 429 Ford.

B6C61D00-E5DB-41EB-A697-FE872EA58B81.jpeg

45137F43-5F1C-4CC5-AA39-4F8F879414A4.jpeg

945F3505-B12B-4F93-91D0-EB7C46A76A47.jpeg

A lot of thought went into building that. Interesting.
I just picked up a used cherry picker,verticals filled with water and froze. When i retubed it, i went heavier wall and a foot taller. Now it will suit my needs much better. As well as adding 3 point connectors for my tractor.
Makes moving it a breeze.

I will have to post a pic of the engine stand I built. It has bearings in the head and you can spin a small block with 2 fingers. I never had much luck with the store bought engine stands. They sag and are hard to spin.
My engine hoist is built like a tank. Its at least 40 years old, back when they made stuff right.

I will have to post a pic of the engine stand I built. It has bearings in the head and you can spin a small block with 2 fingers. I never had much luck with the store bought engine stands. They sag and are hard to spin.
My engine hoist is built like a tank. Its at least 40 years old, back when they made stuff right.
Lets see it. I like the bearings in mine. Makes turning the engine so easy.

I like it

what keeps the cable from slipping off the rollers?

I got a smokin' deal off CL on a modified hoist from a guy who worked on pallet jacks.
He installed a 24v ram in place of the manual ram and ran it from 2 car batteries.
$50 and included a heavy duty engine stand!

I went a step further and replaced the batteries with a computer UPS backup.
Now it is cordless and rechargeable!

My engine hoist has a air powered jack on it. I think its from harbor freight.
Here are some pics.

Dsc05191.jpg

Dsc05192.jpg

Dsc05193.jpg

DSC05194.JPG

I also bought the air powered ram. Yet to install it.
Have a deep reduction gearbox i want to put on an engine stand.
Will turn with a cordless drill.

This is turning into a good thread. Guess i will have to add a photo or two as well.

how about a electric wench at the base? one of those badazz ones that mount on a bumper. too fast? I got no probs with a pump, but the stands suck on a LA, the mounts make it all top heavy. Maybe make a engine plate with the proper LA bolt hole placement.

I figured since this thing is getting a little age to it, and I had some extra tubing laying around, I would add a support brace.

60D2842B-2671-433B-A0AE-E5E908EB3DF2.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back