Home Made Easy 8-3/4 Center Chuck Storage

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
IMO one bucket would be enough if you just cut up a cardboard box and put 5 orso layers on the bottom of the bucket, lower the 3rd member in it and put the cover on for dust protection.
The cardboard on the bottom cushions the load of the gears a bit and also acts as an oil catcher, as a fair amount of oil will always drip out of these things when stored.

Personally I'm using 6 nuts and 3 pieces of 3/8" all-thread attached, which are long enough to just hold the 3rd member off the ground with the gears down.
As for carrying a 3rd member around (before installation for instance) I use the u-bolt part of a 2.5 of 3" exhaust-tube clamp, mounted in one of the top holes of the 3rd member so it can be carried horizontally.

I do not understand, what is the cut bucket doing?

The cut bucket is not completely cut out. The bottom of the bucket is cut out, leaving a flange. That flange is where the bolt circle on the 8.75 chunk is resting. By sliding the cut bucket in the whole one, the cut bucket will get stuck in the uncut bucket before the ring gear bottoms out. He's using buckets because , they are common and come with a sealed lid.
Anyway, that's the way I see it.

I just use 10 gallon steel buckets. They cost about $15 to $20.

Pumpkins.JPG

Great ideas guys. I have these things laying all over. Thanks

-
Back