HOME MADE EXHAUST SYSTEM

-
That looks almost exactly what I've envisioned having a shop fab up for my 65 273 Barracuda. How much was the material?

You mean for the pieces from the exhaust manifolds, back?

Flange gaskets, flanges, tubing bends, straight tubing, mufflers, clamps, and hangers were about $175 total. It took quite a bit of time and fabrication work though. If a kit were made for my application, I may have bought it, but no one makes anything that I needed.

I made my own 3" system because nobody sells one for a mini tubbed car. The tail pipes were very difficult to snake through with inboarded springs and a stock tank. The driver side had to be scalloped to clear the spring shackle.

Pro - it works
Con - ugly and lots of work

Edit: Looks like I replied to this thread twice! At least my answers were the same.

Last edited:
I have the same mini-tubbed configuration... but have a fuel cell in the trunk, so the tailpipes were mucy easier. Off-the-shelf 3" tailpipes worked with one (I think) pie-cut on each to get them to come down behind the axle where I wanted them.

I bought the universal kit with the bends and straight pipes for my 47 desoto. I used 2.25” when it had a 318 when I put the 408 in I redid the system with 3”. It was pretty easy both times, start at the front and work your way back, tack weld the pipes at first. When everything is perfect take the pipes out and weld all the way around. I never weld the mufflers, I use band clamps

I'm pretty low budget so I bought a couple sets of headers. a lot of cutting and welding tack weld remove and replace tubes. my first there's a tri-yy. basically same thing for the second one except I couldn't find Big block mopars so I had to make my own flanges got a piece of half inches all I could find for the flanges
pros...... you get what you want may or may not look good
Cons...It is a lot of work must have patience almost finished with my second second set 180 degree headers on my 413

IMG_20220308_181524611.jpg

IMG_20220308_174536778~2.jpg

-
Back