HOME MADE EXHAUST

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
I am thinking of building my own exhaust. For those of you who made there own how did you hold the pipes together when you put them up to see the fitment ?

Wide band clamps.
wkZbzAngHaHa?w=198&h=198&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

And duct tape. And a Sharpie to mark the orientation to the next section of pipe.

Well... I did mine on my back with the car on 4 jack stands , i have many Jack stands... so I used the small ones to support the pipes ever so far apart down the line. Once i have it all cut and slipped n tucked to the bottom nicely... I used a marker to draw a alignment stripe.. mostly I spot welded them and let them down to fully weld up. I welded the over axle portions in place...kind of a tense feeling...gas tank.. I got the tails on and aligned by attaching the brackets to them straight and at the right distance/height apart n to the bumper. ..then welded them the over axle portions. I used the 3" jegs mandrel bent kit. Great kit. Went with dynomax ultraflows fwiw.

I built my first system with 2 1/2 inch parts store bends and straight pieces that I taped together and then welded. I did use stock tailpipes, but it worked pretty well

For my power wagon and several of my customers we just bought the $99 Amazon two and a half inch kit that has 180° 90° and 45° bends and some straight pieces with flared ends...
I used an extra bunch of jack stands to kind of hold it up in place as a puzzled it together. Put the flared and you can just slip one piece into the next. If I needed to do any kind of quick 45s around anything I took a piece of two and a half inch tall paper by a foot long and cut it in the drawer and made it out of paper and then made it out of pipe on my bench..
I tried to get three tax everywhere to keep everything in place and then pulled it all down took it outside and welded it all up with my $89 harbor freight 8-year-old welder. The same weather I used I never buddy else's...
PXL_20220219_215046007.jpg

PXL_20220222_174050640.jpg

PXL_20220222_213854052.jpg

PXL_20220219_200752987.jpg

PXL_20220219_202355376.jpg

PXL_20220219_195518879.jpg

PXL_20220219_175624978.jpg

PXL_20220221_205342124.jpg

I've never done it but I've read about it and one piece of advise I thought was a good idea was to do the "over the axle" part first.

^^^$99 for the pipes and $24 each for the mufflers and a few $6 hangers and a couple Chrome tips from the swap meet>>

I am thinking of building my own exhaust. For those of you who made there own how did you hold the pipes together when you put them up to see the fitment ?
Hey Wayeno. The way I did it isn’t exactly pretty, but it has been effective and pretty cheap.

Off the header collector, in what ever size pipe, I’d run down to the local auto parts store and get the couplers & clamps. Cut and connect to get it where you want it. Later in life when I got a welder, I’d tack weld a small area or run a short beee and remove the clamps and drop the exhaust to weld around the pipe.

For slight corrections in the straight pipe, a have saw to cut partially through the pipe and bend to meet the angle or desired direction correction can be done. Just weld it up when you’re happy with where it’s at. Cut a little at a time.

Prebent pipe helps a lot. I have also in the past purchased just tail pipes. That makes life easy. Even easier still, if the wallet is thick enough, an inexpensive kit from summit fit well.

Use turn downs they are cheap, Face one to the other and you can clock them to fit through and around anything. I don't use clamps. I use 2 tabs bolted together and weld them on. Take the bolts out and pull them apart easy removal and reinstallation.

Steve 059.JPG

I've never done it but I've read about it and one piece of advise I thought was a good idea was to do the "over the axle" part first.
To be clear.. the entire exh is loose fit to ensure they fit over the rear axle and don't point in different directions like nipples on some big sloppy titties

Tack them with a mig welder / use jack stands ....

Like I said, not pretty but it worked. This was when I was using the Hedman B body headers. I later changed to a full TTi system.

IMG_1420.JPG

I'm working on the over the axle part of my exhaust now, I bought a piece of flex pipe to bend into the shape I need so I can easily mockup the solid bends to match.

I found blue painters tape works best for me. It doesn't leave glue on the pipes and it's easy to use as long as your pipes have a very slight flare on one side, should be on the exit side for flow reasons. Although I've used magnets before also. You'll need to experiment and see what works for you. If you do use tape, don't tack weld the pipes with it on.

20221224_172541.jpg

that looks nice what for info did you have put in to find it did you have to tell what for headers you have i have the TTIs exhaust your look
Mufflers, clamps, flanges & hangers not included in kit just the pipes - search for exhaust your size & choose - had good help - he made a cheap kit look pretty good. I was the grunt.

-
Back