Home made Hydraulic Clutch Setup

-
Thank you everyone for the constructive feedback! I would be interested in hearing more about both the Toyota and Ford set-ups. And it was mentioned one time but has anyone tried the 80's Dodge pickup clutch set-ups? That seems like it would be a great candidate. I personally prefer the external slave cylinder over the hydro TO bearing for ease of replacing parts but lets talk about both for those who may want to go that route.

I'm about to but I'm working on an 80s dodge pickup. One possible issue is that the clutch I bought is a 3 finger, as I couldn't find anyone who listed a diaphragm style for a /6.

Came across this today. Moving in the right direction but it seems like all of these threads start off great and then end without a solution! I’ve been doing research on the 80s pickups but it’s difficult as some had the a833OD and other had various NV transmissions which I’m not sure if the stroke on the slave cylinder would be the same. Let’s keep it going!

slave cylinder on the A833

At some point you're just going to have to buy some crap, put parts on it, see what it does, and go from there. Or buy a proven commercial kit or put the OEM mechanical stuff in. The OEM stuff runs for 50-80,000+ miles with no maintainance or failures. Commercial hydraulic kits same if not longer. How often do you really think you're going to need to swap out leaking parts?

At some point you're just going to have to buy some crap, put parts on it, see what it does, and go from there. Or buy a proven commercial kit or put the OEM mechanical stuff in. The OEM stuff runs for 50-80,000+ miles with no maintainance or failures. Commercial hydraulic kits same if not longer. How often do you really think you're going to need to swap out leaking parts?

I agree. The amount of time you spend reverse engineering this stuff is not worth what you get on the other end. Plus, no one is going to know (or care) whether you bought a kit or pieced one together yourself.

Again, I've had an American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing in my Coronet for over three years and have put 1,000s of miles on the car - not one drop of fluid has leaked out of the system.

I bought one of these:

img_0934-jpg.jpg

But I bought it for my T56 swap and plan to use an off the shelf Camaro slave cylinder so maybe not helpful.

I got as far as planning this

Hydraulic clutch fundamentals

the idea for the s10 master cylinder came from this site a guy called Cageman did it back in 2008 on his t5 equipped valiant (look up cageman and s10) he insists its easy and it works

the idea for the BMW slave came from www.moparmarket.com back in 2004 a guy there did it on an australian A body with great success using the master cylinder from a simca/chrysler 1800 Austrlalian Valiant Centura to drive the BMW part on a bracket he made mounted on the ballstud mounting on the bell
you have to join to or re thread the end of the piston shaft for the clutch fork ball or washer

clutch adjuster hardend steel ball off a mopar truck idea came from mopar action

so my plan was based on evidence of success at both ends

I just stored away the ideas for later and never got round to it

it won't work straight off the bat, you are going to have to do some backyard engineering, very few people will just hand you a working idea, but pleanty will insist that the NEW thing they have made or purchased is just what you need when actually it might not be the case
given that fancy new KITs don't work half the time.......

if you don't want to do the engineering side of it, it might be easier to buy a kit

i am a strong beliver that after market kit is great for after market passtimes like racing where you are focused on the state of the car and its equipment every race.

but if you are going to dialy drive it or long distance drive it then may as well use something that has proved itself a million times and for 20 + years at someone elses expense. OEM gear off of cars that do not have a repuation for failures in this area. No after market gear has been tested to distruction by the general public who just need to get from A to B every day, do little or no maintenance, and then scrap their car becasue the dashboard ECU has packed up.
that kinda testing is reserved for after the car or equipment has been purchased. id rather somone else does that for me.

Dave

I've set up quite a few Hydraulic throw out bearings. They work fine.
Once I used an aftermarket Hyd TO bearing for a GM box, on a modified Ford top loader , with
( I think ) a Toyota master cylinder, behind a SB 360.
I hand built all the brackets etc , including the bellhousing dust shield.
It's not rocket science.

-
Back