home made longer leaf spring shackles

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
I'm making some longer shackles for my 73 duster because my springs are basically straight and flat and my tires rub....

And this is a very cheap solution

I measured the distance from the center to center of the bolts and they are 3 1/2 inches apart 1 1/4 wide by 1/4 thick

I got four pieces cut to 8 inches long so I have room to experiment on how many inches I want it to be and thats my only set back I don't know how many inches I want to add for the lift..
I know there is some geometry in play here and need help solving how many inches these shackles would actually lift the rear compared to how many inches I actually cut them too.

So if I were too drill two holes 6 inches apart vs 3 1/2 apart that would give me 2 1/2 in lift but would it actually give me 2 1/2 of lift when put on the car

Any help would be appreciated thanks

my experience with long shackles is that if the springs are tired and worn out it won't hardly lift it at all. It might initially raise it a bit but soon these shackles wont be long enuff as the springs will sag more

I wouldn't recommend adding longer shackles.

Add height using leaf springs only.

You can buy a helper spring for the leaf,that attaches at the back of the leaf for some temporary lift.You should redo the leafs or buy new ones as they are not that expensive.You could have them re-arcked,and add a leaf also,mrmopartech

Long shackles weren't the answer "then" and they aren't the answer "now."

Shackles are the only thing that stabilizes your rear axle and holds it in place during side-to side movement, like cornering. As you make them longer, they "tip" more and more and allow more and more side movement and distortion of the springs.

I know its not the best thing but at the moment I don't have 250$ for springs or even 100$ plus parts for a shop to rebuild them or even 80$ to add a leaf like a member just did..
This is a temp fix and I figured it would be ok by an inch of so longer since I see 4x4 trucks and jeeps use them all the time to lift there vehicles

if you have a jack you can do it your self.jack it up take off wheel and tire take U bolts off take center bolt out and find sumthing to bend it over (I used a fire hiddrnt) you can do this one spring at a time do them all but the main leaf let that one on car.wen you bolt the others back on that spring will fallow.be sure to bend them all the same.I know this works cus I have dun it in my younger yrs.takes an afternoon and I did mine along a street in town. with a bumper jack and jack stand.......lol....Artie

you can also go to the nearest wrecking yard and get a pair of leaf springs the same width. Take off the wheel, u-bolts and center bolt of one side and add a leaf or two from the springs you bought. I have done this on other rigs (Willys wagon and 59 Suburban) to get a certain ride and height out of it. It is trial and error but a cheap short-term alternative.

-
Back