Home made sandblast cabinets..lets see them

-
I used the rubber lens retainer rings from 3 3/4 tractor trailer light for the glove holes but I used a plactic storage container from walmart!

Very cool 4spd but that angle makes my shoulders and back of my neck hurt just looking at it. :-D Even with the window down low and glove openings on the front, you're going to be looking almost straight down most of the time.

But in the spirit of cooperation and never-ending FABO cheerleaderness :-D, I'll offer up my legendary 8" red platforms for use during the opening ceremonies.

View attachment 234087

I know, I know ................. runnin already -------------->>> zooooooooommmmmmm :axe: :axe: :axe:

Thanks for the pic Leanna!! My oh my!! Back and neck sore?? I'd give you a rubbin!!LOL Oh and the red platforms, I couldnt walk in them, but I guess it wouldnt matter anyway cuz wearing those would make me wanna put my legs in the air!! My legs dont do the shoes justice....now yer gams is a whole other ballgame!!

I am thinking it is a combo of 2 things. The angle is not steep enough. The pic in the post almost has it at a 45 degree angle.
The more involved seems to be that your cabinet is narrower. If you change the angle more, the positioning would be more natural, but then the narrow front to back might limit things.

What about changing the angle?
--put the arms into the vertical face of the freezer, and put your sight glass in the top. You could have the edge of the lid at sternum level, arm holes in a natural position standing up, and the viewing port as close to the edge (opposite hinge) as possible?

No comments about the artwork...I am no artist.
sandblastcabinet.jpg

Sweet, FABO's a bunch of leg men. :-D

That's a great illustration but you guys are forgetting something: Gravity. Absent fabbing up some L-brackets to hold some kind of heavy duty grate in there at an even horizon, all the parts you'll be blasting are going to be laying in the bottom of the freezer closer to your feet. The more straight-down you aim, the more dust you'll create and you won't be able to see a damn thing in there.

What are you doing with the freezer to make it easy to change out your media? I don't remember seeing anything about a hopper or flap opening in the original 'plans' so maybe I just missed it.

Have you seen a site called TPTools.com? They have all kinds of handy cabinet accessories at fairly reasonable prices (look at the gun upgrade) so you don't necessarily have to reinvent the wheel when building your own.

Sorry to be such a devil's advocate in your thread 4spd my love, but I've been into plans to build my own big 2-person blast cabinet for awhile now and have thought about it a LOT. (I need at least a 7-footer to equate with my oven size, but it would probably be more cost effective for me to stick with stock 8 foot lengths on materials.)

I'm digging this thread! Can't wait to see how the bad boy turns out. :-D

Hey Backtobasics, yep now with a closer look my angle is way off. What I am gonna try is seeing how standing on a milk crate will do. If I stand flat on the floor, it is perfect viewing height, but then I have to put arm holes on the vertical face and the angle its currently at kills it. If I angle it more and lower it a bit like the 1st pic, then I can put the holes and window in the lid (L brackets wont be enuf, I will have to screw it thru the bottom of freezer to the legs). I think I will take it off and try a different angle.

Now Ms Legs 2011, I was tinkin about drilling a hole in the bottom and letting the media "drain" into a 5 gal pail, then I thought I could do that later if need be. I will try it without draining for now. I currently reuse my glass bead(drains into 5 gal pail and my siphon pulls from the same pail. Yeah I agree with the angle and not being able to see, but I plan on using milk crates or something to hold the parts up off the bottom. Hopefully that and with the amt of open space in there I can "avoid" stirring up the media on the bottom. I figure I can put about 2 bags of media in there, that will get me lots of blast time before I have to change it. One thing that is stumping me, but I havent put a lot of thought into it yet is the window. I have to create a frame to be able to remove the glass easily as well as hold it in well. I got a price on laminate glass like you suggested from a local guy here and its about $100 for a 4x8 sheet 1/4" thick!! A little pricey!! Obviously I cant use a piece that big, but he will cut it to whatever size I need. Im gonna shop that price around. Im gonna chk out TPtools and see what they have for ideas. I appreciate all the input, I would rather make it right the 1st time with help, then do it on my own 3 times over!!!
Keep the advice coming!!
Thanks 4spdragtop

Yes, the part will want to sit at the bottom, but the milk crates, or some fabbed up metal shelving would keep it up top.

I would think if it was a bit more horizontal, but merely raised up higher. The angle for the arms in the vertical face would not be as extreme, and if you set the edge at chest bone height, you would be able to look down at 45 degree angle, and have full arm reach.

Yes, the part will want to sit at the bottom, but the milk crates, or some fabbed up metal shelving would keep it up top.

I would think if it was a bit more horizontal, but merely raised up higher. The angle for the arms in the vertical face would not be as extreme, and if you set the edge at chest bone height, you would be able to look down at 45 degree angle, and have full arm reach.

Hey b2b, I am thinking of increasing the angle and lowering the height maybe 2-3" max. That way my gloves can go in thru the lid, I can stand directly on the ground and I can still see in very well. I guess I could raise it more (with current angle) to get my arms in the vertical part of the cabinet, but I believe it would still be uncomfortable. Im heading out to the cave to look at it a little more.

Thanks!!

Note the old Kitchenaid oven door mounted inside the walk-in door here on my 7 foot oven. Something like that may work out for you too (but it may end up being too small).

View attachment IMG_3710.jpg

Obviously the glass / laminate in the blast cabinet is going to need to be changed a lot more often than my inspection / temp checker window in my oven does, but I think making a bigger frame for the inside to secure it would be pretty simple and wouldn't demand that you continue to find old oven door windows when it was time for a new one.

What kind of media(s) are you planning on using?

Just the quick and dirty of it, and something to think about other than Leanna's legs (which are VERY SEXY!). My brother and I built a cage out of PVC pipe and attached cheap tarps (that you can get at Dollar General, CHEAP) on all sides and the bottom for a make shift outside blast cabinet. This allows you to not piss off the neighbors and also collects the sand so you can recycle it once or twice after sifting. It's modular, stowable, cheap, and it works good!

Before you get rid of the compressor motor, add a gallon or two tank to it and use it as a silent compressor for airbrushing or filling your tires

just the quick and dirty of it, and something to think about other than leanna's legs (which are very sexy!). My brother and i built a cage out of pvc pipe and attached cheap tarps (that you can get at dollar general, cheap) on all sides and the bottom for a make shift outside blast cabinet. This allows you to not piss off the neighbors and also collects the sand so you can recycle it once or twice after sifting. It's modular, stowable, cheap, and it works good!

clever!!!!

Leanna,the oven door/window is a great idea.Steve,maybe some racks from an old oven/fridge will help for holding parts at levels?

4spd is a fairly tall guy(6,2-6,4??)I think his gut would be in the way,so the red shoes might help?LMAO.
Great thread Steve!:thumrigh:

I always wanted to take the last 4' of a Station wagon or a Ram Charger and make a blasting cabinet out of it. A van would work ( don't use a Chev, they are all rusted out)It would look like a truck going into the wall.

Tweaking it again today, I chkd the angle I had the freezer on and its about 15*, I am changing it to about 35* and will put bigger shelf brackets on the front to help hold freezer there.

Making progress, got the new angle on the legs, somewhere around 35* which dropped the front leg around 2". I cut my arm holes with 17" spacing due to my love handles. Holes are approx 5" diameter. Im going to put "sleeves" I made from duct work. They are just set in there, I will screw them in later. I cut the window as well. 36" wide by 10 1/2" approx. 6mm laminate glass is about $3 per sq ft, but should last quite a while. ABS and filter for the shop vac should work well. Im gonna pick up the glass tomorrow, so hopefully will be able to add a bit more to this thread. Getting there, and I think I got the dt's from no sand blasting!!

Attachments

• DSCF4331 (Medium).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,377
  • DSCF4328 (Medium).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,326
  • DSCF4324 (Medium).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,335
  • DSCF4323 (Medium).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,318
  • DSCF4321 (Medium).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,312
  • DSCF4313 (Medium).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,316
Wow, moving right along! Looks great so far.

If you can swing it, you may consider adding an inch and a half to the window width though (looks like it might be a bit tight from the pic?). Stock lengths of 12-inch increments will be cheaper at the glass shop than that 10 1/2".

Keep up the fine cabinet ****. And if you get withdrawals in the meantime, c'mon over ... I've always got a little blasting you can do. :-D

Thanks Leanna, here we go another woman wanting a few more inches!! LOL. The only way I can make the window bigger is if I make at bigger towards the hinge side, I cant come any closer to the glove side as I am worried about support. My glass guy said I will only pay for what I use. I tried to explain to him about getting full use, but he said it wouldnt make a difference. Hope to have it mostly done this weekend. I'll bring the Southern Comfort!

So its about 99% done, I am going to "install" a few more cosmetics and I may make a few changes, but for the most part its done!! Now to get some pieces and get using it!! As I put in my other thread, she is a 20 footer, but I just couldnt spend anymore time making it look purty!!

Attachments

• DSCF4616 (Medium).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,285
  • DSCF4618 (Medium).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,283
  • DSCF4619 (Medium).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,230
  • DSCF4620 (Medium).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,270
  • DSCF4623 (Medium).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,281
-