home sharktooth grill

-

Granny's Duster

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have always liked the sharktooth grill, but I have a '75 Duster and the shape of the hood is different from the 70-72 Dusters. So what about making my own. I have a harbor freight bender, and the aluminum flat stock is pretty cheap...The problem is I am a :newb: at this kind of fabrication...

Attachments

• PC040483.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,330
wow....making one out of flat stock would be quite an endeavor- I think you'd have to weld about 600 little pieces of aluminum together (just to pick a number off the top of my head lol).
A lot easier to swap the front end off of a 70-72, if you want my honest opinion

Your car looks great, I'm going to try and make what Plymouth "might" have done if they had kept the grill into the later model years. What I've learned so far is you have to be really precise in your measuring and bends or you will get crooked "teeth"

Attachments

• P2260498.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,225
The cost of front end swap plus sharktooth would be a shark size bite in the wallet :)

Very hard to do a metal version. No harm in trying. I could imagine someone with plastic welding skills doing it.

Hell. I would make one tooth and make a mold and cast them in ABS and glue them together.

With this grill I want to follow the body lines of the later hood, which I really like. So I now have this...

Attachments

• P2260500.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,239
  • P2260502.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,232
  • P2260496.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,253
The guy that was doing the tig welding did a great job, but it was going to get into a lot of $$$$. And I've really wanted to learn to tig weld? BTW, this is the grill I'm replacing

Attachments

• P2260506.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,234
Wow! You obviously are persistant and apparently quite talented as well. I for one will be watching this. Subscribed.

Here are a couple of mock-up photos. Not all welded together yet.

Attachments

• P1260491.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,174
  • P2260493.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,210
  • P2260497.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,229
Cool. You have some skills.
If you could incorporate the "moldings" that frame it above and below it would be even better.
The vertical dimension change is also significant.

Attachments

• sharktooth.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,237
I should have waited for some more posts before I said anything- that's a very impressive start. I like what you've done so far. Curious though- are you keeping the fronts of the 'teeth' squared off like that, or will you be giving them the pointed front like the original has?

btw, I was wondering about the area at the center of the grille where there's the extra gap under the hood, so I added a piece of your original grille to it:

2ugj7ft.jpg

Wow, great looking so far, its different, and different is way KEWL!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

That is wicked cool! But I think you would get an even better effect if you were to black out the front rad support!

Thats Sweet!!, where do we place our orders at?

Cool. You have some skills.
If you could incorporate the "moldings" that frame it above and below it would be even better.
The vertical dimension change is also significant.
I have been trying to figure out how to do some moldings...
And I like the vertical change in the teeth, the outer 4 teeth on each side of mine are shorter, but it's barely enough to notice.

I should have waited for some more posts before I said anything- that's a very impressive start. I like what you've done so far. Curious though- are you keeping the fronts of the 'teeth' squared off like that, or will you be giving them the pointed front like the original has?

btw, I was wondering about the area at the center of the grille where there's the extra gap under the hood, so I added a piece of your original grille to it:

2ugj7ft.jpg
Yeah, I've been wondering about the area at the center of the grill too. I love your idea about the piece of the original grill.

The more I look at the shark tooth grill, the more I like it. Those designers put so much detail and styling into it, you just don't see anything else like it. I wonder if they discontinued it because it was too expensive to make?

Attachments

• sharktooth.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,123
There have been rumors of repops on and off. Never happens. Not sure if it's too spendy or the market is too small. Maybe both.

My silly brain says make those moldings out of wood :)

-
Back