Homemade crank gear puller ??

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Have any of you made a crank gear puller? I was hoping to not buy one. I have half of it.. I have a harmonic balancer puller, so I can use part of it on the gear, but what have you used to actually get behind the gear?

The gear puller looks like this.

77-1003_z1.jpg

I attached this crow's foot puller with two long bolts with wide enough washers or heads to grip behind the teeth of the crank gear. I kept the two bolts tight against the gear with just copper wire, two pieces twisted pretty tightly. I do not recall if I first heated up the gear, but I would. Wasn't as clumsy as it looked. Did the job.

Attachments

• sept 09_102709_412.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 583
Cool thread! Post 2,love it! Yeah.heat helps like crazy..

A nut placed on each side of the puller helps too.

What do you mean?

On the bolts going through the puller, put a nut on the gear side as well as the one shown. This tightens the bolts up against the puller and helps keep them from spreading.

In all my years, I've never needed a bottom sprocket puller (Those are not gears, unless you have a "gear" drive.) One or two big screwdrivers.

Another handy tool I've had over the years was a Proto "hook" puller like this one:

691913_300.jpg

Works for things like pilot bushings, hard to deal with seals/ bearings, and.................crank sprockets

I just get mine hot enough with the torch they slide right off with no effort besides a push from something other than your finger haha

................ur not using it over r ya............take a hammer and chisel and 1 good wack cracks it open like an egg.............kim.....

Nope not re using it. It's in my camper van which is a 75 Chevy with a 350.
I haven't ever had problems getting the lower sprocket off, but this one seems to be pressed on.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

-
Back