Hood Black out

-

Lonnie Leach

Duster/ Valiant
Reaction score
Looking for some one who has a 73 340 car with the Blacked out hood from factory. Mine did not have a hood on it when i got it But the option code calls for it ..I Need Pic and dimensions of stripe I have the witness marks from under windshield rubber But No Hood

104_0263.JPG

Last edited:
What option code are you referring to for the “blacked out hood”?

If you now have a hood, check with Phoenix Graphics. I believe they show a hood black out for a 73 Dart.

I also believe they sell the template for if you paint yourself as well as the decals.

I think it was painted from Factory Right ? because its painted on the Cowl
Not sure on Duster but 1973 Dart Sports that had V21 had a vinyl decals on hood but cowel was painted as the paint flows into to cowel vent slots.
Phoenix Graphics also said this when I asked since I ordered the hood vinyl.
Performance Car Graphics also said same thing painted cowel
I had a local graphic place match the shade and texture of the V21 Dart Sport graphics Phoenix sent me. It was installed after the hood was in place to duplicate it on the cowel.
The shop had quite a few blacks. So if you go that route instead of paint get whom ever you buy the graphics from to sell you some from the same batch that matches.
It took 2 of us and a heat gun. As each slot had to be cut centered. So a slit vinyl heated to bend it into each slot and stuck down. Something that would have really slowed the factory line down.
Sp the factory just used paint since it was fast just tape cowel shoot black and onto the next car.
All the original ones I have seen were painted cowel and vinyl hood at least on Dart Sports.
Original yes but looked bad being painted black cowel and vinyl decals on hood.
So I assume Dusters were done the same way. But you know what they say about Assume.

Last edited:
Not sure on Duster but 1973 Dart Sports that had V21 had a vinyl decals on hood but cowel was painted as the paint flows into to cowel vent slots.
Phoenix Graphics also said this when I asked since I ordered the hood vinyl.
Performance Car Graphics also said same thing painted cowel
I had a local graphic place match the shade and texture of the V21 Dart Sport graphics Phoenix sent me. It was installed after the hood was in place to duplicate it on the cowel.
The shop had quite a few blacks. So if you go that route instead of paint get whom ever you buy the graphics from to sell you some from the same batch that matches.
It took 2 of us and a heat gun. As each slot had to be cut centered. So a slit vinyl heated to bend it into each slot and stuck down. Something that would have really slowed the factory line down.
Sp the factory just used paint since it was fast just tape cowel shoot black and onto the next car.
All the original ones I have seen were painted cowel and vinyl hood at least on Dart Sports.
Original yes but looked bad being painted black cowel and vinyl decals on hood.
So I assume Dusters were done the same way. But you know what they say about Assume.
Thats what i was thinking .But was not sure if the factory used vinyl cuz hood was gone but side stripes were vinyl and i found the paint on the cowl .and that would make sense .The Hood probably had the stripe on it and aliened they Just taped and sprayed it. They used to do the same in GM when i worked for them in the 80s with the pinstripes after all was aliened..

-
Back