Hood gas strut kits.

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
I'm almost sure I've read a past post on the forum about a gas strut kit or parts there of...to replace the hood torsion rods for a 65 Barracuda. Any information would be appreciated.
Norm

The hood is heavy enough to put struts on it! The struts come in strength ratings so dont go crazy on them or else you could damage the hood. My LS400 had a crease in the hood from an incorrect strut intall from the PO. The body shop straightened it for us after someone backed into us. You could get a bathroom scale on the inner fender and put a 2x4 on it to prop up the unspung hood to get an idea of what the hood weight on that point is. My SC hood struts rate like this for an example:
  • Extended Length A [in]: 22.54
  • Stroke C [in]: 8.50
  • Compressed Length B [in]: 14.04
  • Force (Lbs): 65

I did that with my stock hood.
Now I use a glass one with struts.
It may take me a while,but I will try to find the struts I used for the stock hood.

I'm almost sure I've read a past post on the forum about a gas strut kit or parts there of...to replace the hood torsion rods for a 65 Barracuda. Any information would be appreciated.
Norm

I don't believe anyone makes a kit. You'll have to piece it together yourself. On my 66 Dart, I used struts off a mid-90's ford taurus. They lift the factory hood easily.

Norm
I used 180 pound 15 inch gas struts with a 5 in lift. I'll dig up the information later today and send it along. I have a lot of information in "Sneaking towards the finish line" in the restoration forum, you may want to take a look.

I did that with my stock hood.
Now I use a glass one with struts.
It may take me a while,but I will try to find the struts I used for the stock hood.
What struts did you use? I'm getting a six pack fiberglass hood for my 69 Barracuda so it also has an inner panel. Did you install them like the video below your post?

Yes,very similar.
I used nutserts in the firewall.
I will try to find the part number I used.
You may need a bit more lift strength.

-
Back