Hood hinge has struts

-

5.7 hemi

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at installing gas struts on on my 69’ Dart hood hinges and can not find anything using the “search” on here. Can someone help me find it?

Im in the same hunt, this is the closest I’ve found.

Hood hinge repair or replacement

I broke a hinge yesterday, and wasn’t gonna miss a track day with my old high school buddies. So I’m rolling full white trash...

F86BB889-5BDF-4667-83DC-456CA7B06BCC.jpeg

I used 96 or so - 2006 or so Mitsu Montero rear hatch struts on my 65 Dart hood, which is under restoration. Others have done similar conversions on both hoods and trunk lids

I’m looking at installing gas struts on on my 69’ Dart hood hinges and can not find anything using the “search” on here. Can someone help me find it?
Here is the part number of the GUDEN gas spring I used. You can access their website and search for others. Here is a picture of the spring installed on my 70 dart.

GGS26-P1=150 POUNDS EF110 5.50" STROKE, CHROME ROD

IMG_0341.JPG

Awesome! Did you reinforce the kickpanel attachment area? Did the struts have the attachment balls/studs or did you source separately?

Thanks!

Joe

Last edited:
Awesome! Did you reinforce the kickpanel attachment area? Did have the attachment balls/studs or did you source separately?

Thanks!

Joe
Not sure who the question is addressed to but for me the ball stud that I attached to the hinge cane with the kit but I did have to go buy the nut (used a nylon lock nut). I did not need to reinforce the kick panel area.

Awesome! Did you reinforce the kickpanel attachment area? Did the struts have the attachment balls/studs or did you source separately?

Thanks!

Joe
Joe, I ordered everything from Guden, ask for Karen Kavanagh
www.guden.com ** kak@guden.com
1-800-344-6437 x108 Fax: 1-631-737-2933
I made spacer blocks to align the gas springs so they are parallel and provide reinforcement

ILL be ordering Monday morning.

Do you think that same gas spring part number/installation would work on my earlier 65 A-body?
When I did the calculations for spring load, I used my hood weight of 85 pounds. So if your hood is stock, it should be alright. I used a bathroom scale to measure mine.

I tried the Guden struts, they did not have enough strength to open the hood and it could barely keep it open at full stroke. So I got some for a 2004 Mitsubishi Montero, they are way better, a bit longer and all around beefier.

I also drilled/tapped the pivot pin and used a steel bushing on the hinge. This allowed the hinge to pivot on 1/2” worth of material instead of just the thickness of the hinge. The button head screw is there to help the hinge rotate on the pivot pin without trying to walk off it.

21E5ECBE-F56F-4ADE-B880-2C203716CF8A.jpeg

83C6812D-47F7-4316-9AEE-83AAD38B21D7.jpeg

FAC230FF-FC5D-4E07-B0F3-74E15142819A.jpeg

The lift gate struts. They work just fine, but I’m thinking that a stiffer strut, maybe about 230lbs would be better.

Thanks for the photos,was wondering what to do.

I broke a hinge yesterday, and wasn’t gonna miss a track day with my old high school buddies. So I’m rolling full white trash...

View attachment 1715182948

We were driving my friends Honda to Mammoth Mtn for some skiing (about a 6 hour drive) and his hood flew up and knocked the rear view mirror right off the windshield but didnt break it. It was all bent so we just took it off and ditched it on the side of the road. Never made it up: White out for the last 15 miles and the road closed so we ended diverting to Vegas instead...

You may want to take the bathroom scale out and try and position it so it is supporting the hood in the up position with some sort of strut from the location of the strut on the hinge to the scale to determine how much load is on the hinge itself. An 85 lb hood is going to exert way more lbs 6 inches from the fulcrum. Its a 3rd order lever: I measured a 10g plastic knife: lifting one end I got 7.7g (like force to hold up a hood at its lip), but when I weighed it on a fulcrum close to the edge (force to lift 6" from the hinge), I got almost 35g.
Fe = Fl dl / de
levers-third-class.png

some structural engineer can help us on this....anyone?

Last edited:
We were driving my friends Honda to Mammoth Mtn for some skiing (about a 6 hour drive) and his hood flew up and knocked the rear view mirror right off the windshield but didnt break it. It was all bent so we just took it off and ditched it on the side of the road. Never made it up: White out for the last 15 miles and the road closed so we ended diverting to Vegas instead...

You may want to take the bathroom scale out and try and position it so it is supporting the hood in the up position with some sort of strut from the location of the strut on the hinge to the scale to determine how much load is on the hinge itself. An 85 lb hood is going to exert way more lbs 6 inches from the fulcrum. Its a 3rd order lever: I measured a 10g plastic knife: lifting one end I got 7.7g (like force to hold up a hood at its lip), but when I weighed it on a fulcrum close to the edge (force to lift 6" from the hinge), I got almost 35g.
Fe = Fl dl / de
View attachment 1715199570
some structural engineer can help us on this....anyone?
I was told there would be no math! I'm going back to bed..

there is no math if you just weigh its strut compression force. Make sure you support it where its designed to be or else you can taco the hood, likewise if you use too strong of lifts. You dont want a catapult.

Im in the same hunt, this is the closest I’ve found.

Hood hinge repair or replacement

View attachment 1715182948
. Not to ambush this thread but that is funny. When I was 16 my 63 Nova had a carb issue and would shoot a flame out of it so I left the hood off for a good show. Thought it was cool for awhile. Dumbass white trash hillbilly, Me.

I like the shocks on the outside. I think REALWING did shocks on his SRTCuda build thread but on the inside of the engine bay.

Two struts, one for each side of course. In the end I changed to 180 pound struts. Any number of vendors have 180 pound struts with a 5 inch stroke.

-
Back