hood inserts on 67 barracuda

-

67fishfastback

Reaction score
Does any body have pics of restored hood inserts for a 67 cuda:-D,just wondered if there was black in between the fins?I sent them off to get rechromed OUCH that is a little costly!!!

The 67 (all ribs) hood inserts were paintd the same argent color as found on the grille surrounds, rear finish panel etc...
Its gonna be difficult to get paint to stick to the chrome. Powercoat is a good option. Either way the masking is none fun !
Good luck

pretty much. Actually the sides of the ribs are left chrome. "Anywhere water stands is painted" should be a correct guide.

There is a another way to approach those things but I haven't tryed it so cant say its easier. Have the entire thing powdercoated then scrub it back off those areas to expose the chrome. I'm sure the factory had masking fixtures just like their painting fender badges etc..

I almost thought about leaving the insert totaly chrome but i'm not sure how much pitting was down between the fins.I sent the inserts to pauls chrome and just got my qout via e-mail and that wasn't filling the pits were it is supposed to have paint.

I did a poor mans restore on mine. Took them to a miiling machine and with a small end mill I cut away 90% of the pits. Spose you could call that chasing the flats. Took most of a day to do the 2 pieces. Had to work the outer dish areas by hand. Then epoxy primered and painted.
They didn't look new but much better.

Not a 67 Cuda but the fins on my 69 Dart inserts have been restored

send me an email

lmayes8@insightbb.com

good to see another Greenfield guy

wife wants to know if you go to washington sq. cruise in, said there was a cuda fastback there last summer

Hey widcat,I tried to e-mail you and it wouldn't go thru for some reason. Could you e-mail me ,tmann35@insightbb.com. I go up to wash. square and look around but I don't have my car done maybe by the end of the summer. Should be getting it back from paint in the next few weeks and begin the lengthy process off assembling. Thanxx Ted

I took my inserts to Pauls last year and they said they would not fill the pits in the bottom. Most of them filled with the plating process. I masked mine(took about 4 hours) and hit lightly with glass bead and used an epoxy primer then argent paint. I put on a heavy coat of primer and then sanded and got the pits out then painted. It has stood up good so far. The only bad thing I will say about Pauls is that the chrome is built up much more than original. It looks awsome to anyone that would not know.

-
Back