Hood Latch Problem

-

Del

Papa66Bcuda
Reaction score
I have 66 Barracuda that the hood release pulls extremely hard. I can take it off of latch and it pulls easy I've oiled cable and tried to reroute it but when I hook it back up to the latch it pulls hard. I've cleaned and oiled the latch and worked the latch by hand and it seems pretty stiff. Does something go wrong with these latchs that acts this way. Has anyone tried a Lokar hood kit or where can I find another latch and cable for my 66 I see Classic has one for a 67 and looks like it would work. If someone has ideas I'm all ears. Thanks

If the latch is not properly adjusted it will work hard. With the hood closed, take one hand and press the hood down (more closed) and at the same time pull the hood release with the other hand. Does this make the opening of the hood easier? You need to adjust. When you close the hood, just before the striker engages the latch, look at the hood/ body gaps on either side of hood. Now fully close hood watching those gaps. Do the gaps change on either side when latched? If they change , you need to adjust. Improper adjustment puts the latch in a bind.

If the latch is not properly adjusted it will work hard. With the hood closed, take one hand and press the hood down (more closed) and at the same time pull the hood release with the other hand. Does this make the opening of the hood easier? You need to adjust. When you close the hood, just before the striker engages the latch, look at the hood/ body gaps on either side of hood. Now fully close hood watching those gaps. Do the gaps change on either side when latched? If they change , you need to adjust. Improper adjustment puts the latch in a bind.
That's a good idea I will try that tonight. Here's another thing I tried with the hood open I flipped the lever on the latch as if the hood was closed and the cable still pulls hard. I haven't taken the latch off yet but I was wondering if over time and painting if the latch needs a thorough cleaning. Do these latches wear out over a period of time. They seem impossible to find new cables and latches. Thank you for your advice

Yes, you could be on to something. I haven't seen one wear out but it is possible. But if it works hard as you describe, paint or dirt can jamb it up. If you can get it to work badly without the hood closed, then we have to suspect the latch. If so, then remove the whole latch from the car, clean it, inspect it. You can probably get it to bind up in your hand. Maybe we are headed to replacement. If so, there are many on this site that can help.

Yes, you could be on to something. I haven't seen one wear out but it is possible. But if it works hard as you describe, paint or dirt can jamb it up. If you can get it to work badly without the hood closed, then we have to suspect the latch. If so, then remove the whole latch from the car, clean it, inspect it. You can probably get it to bind up in your hand. Maybe we are headed to replacement. If so, there are many on this site that can help.
Thank you I will keep you informed

-
Back