Hood Mounted Tachometer (Obv. Not Stock)

-

MrFollmer

Reaction score
I own a 1965 Dodge Dart 270 Convertible that is finally back in my hands from months of rework, upgrades, and tuning. Long story....

Today, I decided to take apart the hood mounted tach that looks awesome but isn’t functional for some reason. I know it’s not original and it may even be from a Ford (gasp!). Not really sure.

Knowing that we have some insanely talented gurus in here, I thought I’d post some photos and get everyone’s opinion on where I should start with fixing this. Let me know your thoughts!

79C43469-C05E-47D3-981F-1AE0418158D6.jpeg

E4282159-EAA4-4BBE-8760-95986029BFCB.jpeg

C94B08E1-D967-4061-A70C-49F56AE39786.jpeg

AC84B4A6-D0AC-4735-9968-639CEA6A19C9.jpeg

going to take a guess and assume the car is a v8 since the tach is set to v8? trace out the wiring and see if everything is good. since you have the connectors easy to get to, i'd make up a quick set of jumpers and hook it up. you'll have tach signal, ground, power, light. do you have the instructions?

going to take a guess and assume the car is a v8 since the tach is set to v8? trace out the wiring and see if everything is good. since you have the connectors easy to get to, i'd make up a quick set of jumpers and hook it up. you'll have tach signal, ground, power, light. do you have the instructions?

I literately just unhooked it off the car and took photos of it in the process before I uploaded them here. I made the decision last night to just take it completely apart and found out that the spring inside is completely rusted and fused to the copper coils. Looks like it got some water in it somehow...not sure since it hasn’t seen rain in 30 years.

I found a replacement unit from another thread that’s available on Amazon for $200, so I think I’ll buy that and marry the two together.

Will update this post when the new one arrives.

-
Back