Hood pin install question

-

FlDart360

Reaction score
Has anyone ever installed hood pins on a hood that’s already been painted? Is there any chance this could be done without needing a repaint?

Has anyone ever installed hood pins on a hood that’s already been painted? Is there any chance this could be done without needing a repaint?

I have several times. Masking tape is your best friend.

Piece of cake. Dress the bare steel the best you can. And remember, that hood is moving in an arc.

I taped the area with 3M painter's tape and used a very small bit for a center pilot hole from underneath, after using a solid paint marker on the pins to mark the exact center contact point, then a 5/8" step bit from above. No cracking, just take your time.

20181002_185200-1.jpg

20181002_174036.jpg

Thanks for the Pictures and responses I think I will add them to my to do list after all adding Hood pins should be good for 10 more HP.

Finally getting around to this after receiving them for Christmas. Just one more question the pin is 1/2 inch in diameter. The part that mounts to the top of the hood has a 3/4 hole. Do you drill to 3/4 to give the pin some extra room?

IMG_1906.JPG.jpg

Yep the original holes were actually oval from front to back (look at the holes in your hood bracing). As mentioned before the hood moves in an arc not straight down on the pin so it needs the room.

Yep the original holes were actually oval from front to back (look at the holes in your hood bracing). As mentioned before the hood moves in an arc not straight down on the pin so it needs the room.
I now understand your statement about moving in an arc. I get it now...probably would have had that light bulb moment the first time i shut the hood if i would have under drilled it.

yes.. its easy. just have to take your time and be careful..

also make sure the hood is adjusted where you want it before you drill anything.

-
Back